Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sli-ready Memory?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

Not that I'm getting it anytime soon, but I was wondering if SLi memory really makes a difference versus standard memory. If it's not that much of a difference, I won't bother. If it really makes for a nice boost in gaming, well...that's just something I'll have to save up money for!

BTW, yes, I have a SLi mobo and SLi cards.

Edited by Venek, 09 February 2007 - 02:43 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:27 PM

First of all, not all SLI mobos support SLI-ready memory. SLI-ready memory has nothing to do with SLI mobos or graphics cards in SLI. nVIDIA is just using the name to trade on the brand recognition. You mobo needs to support EPP to support SLI-ready memory.

Secondly, it doesn't do anything you can't do yourself. SLI-ready memory contains EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles). All DDR2 memory, in accordance with the JEDEC standard, has a SPD which contains basic information like CAS latency, frequency, manufacturer and model number for the motherboard BIOS. EPP adds additional information to this like tRCD, tRP, tRAS, and other latencies, plus non-standard frequencies and voltages. In theory the memory comes pre-tuned and pre-overclocked.

How much this improves performance depends on a lot of factors. How bandwidth sensitive the game and the rest of your system is and how enhanced the profile is and what you compare it to. Performance improvement will be between 0.1% and 15%.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

Thanks...if it only results in a 15% improvement in best-case scenarios, well...I'm not gonna bother. For the record, my mobo does support SLi-ready memory as my startup will detect it if it is there.

Thanks again.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users