Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"c: Is Dirty"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bunbun

bunbun

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:31 PM

That is the message I got when I ran gparted in a attempt to make a new partition on C: Partitioning is no big deal at present but what is . . is:

I am unable to run chkdsk or chkdsk /f in "run" or at the command prompt. The message I get is "the type of the filesystem is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process". I also have gotten "do you want to run it the next time you boot up". At next boot, I get that chkdsk was stopped and that one of my discs should be checked. Now when I go to a text document or want to type anything what occurs is a constant line of ++++++++++++++++++++++++ continuing on into the sunset.

I have more than enough room, (3 hard drives totallying 520 GB) and memory 1500MB RAM.

Ran a registry cleaner. nada. I do not have a recent repair point that is good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console.
See the article for info http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archi.../19/504394.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...-us/fsutil.mspx

Try, from the Command Prompt:

fsutil dirty query c:

This "should" tell you that the bit is set to "dirty" (if this is the problem). The fix is generally to run chkdsk /f /r on the next reboot - and let it finish. That will usually clear the dirty bit.

Here's more reading on the dirty bit: http://www.buildorbuy.net/dirtybit.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bunbun

bunbun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:17 PM

Command prompt says "C: is dirty".

OS will not run chkdsd anywhere, period.

OK, If I run it from the Command Console will it disrupt/delete the applications/programs.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:11 PM

See if this works.

Windows WONT STOP error-checking

figured it out with no reformatting! just dimwittedness & 1/2 @** stumbling around.

building onto Pete's fsutil advice, i noticed there was another command besides "query", there was a command called "set" (which allows u to set a dirty bit). it seemed odd to have a "set" command & not a "unset" command. so anyways, for the heck of it i typed

fsutil dirty unset D:

which didnt work, but i thought i would give it a try anyways

so then i decided i would go ahead & set the drives dirty myself (to kinda "reset" everything & restart the dirty process "new" again)

fsutil dirty set D: <Substitute C: for D:>

then ran the chkdsk D: /f <Substitute C: for D:>

now i have no more chkdsk at boot & all my drives are labeled not dirty

http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/disk-checking.htm

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 09 February 2007 - 08:12 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Hello Please to try this and see if it works

Click on the Start menu and open the run dialog.
2. Type "cmd" and return (without quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query <letter of drive that ckdsk keeps checking>" (for example, C:)
4. If the returned message indicates that the volume is dirty, go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk <drive letter> /f /x"
6. After that finishes, repeat step 3.
7. If the volume is no longer dirty, reboot and chkdsk should not reappear.

The "fsutil dirty query" reports the current state of the flag.
"Chkdsk /f" forces Chkdsk to run whether or not the flag is dirty--- it's a way to ensure that errors are fixed, regardless of what the flag says.
"Chkdsk /x" goes a little further and helps ensure that any files that were left open get closed; it actually implies "/f" so you don't need the /f if you're using /x .
With either /f or /x, at the end of the run, Chkdsk should set the flag to clean

#7 bunbun

bunbun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

Have not seen anything work yet. I still need to know if using the CD and comand console will delete my applications. That is looking like the only way out.

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

Bootng to the CD and using the Recovery Console to run commands will not harm your applications.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users