Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excess Files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:37 PM

I upgraded a computer in 08/04 from WIN 98 to WIN Xp. Everything just fine. But, now I'd like to rid the hard drive of all unnneeded files. I will NOT be reinstalling WIN 98. Am especially interested in getting all unneeded CAB files cleaned off. I figure that all CaBS installed earlier than the 08/04 date can go--especially the ones listed as WIN 98.. Or can I safely scrub ANY file that is dated earlier than 08/04--Any advise would be welcome --- :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 03:08 PM

Or can I safely scrub ANY file that is dated earlier than 08/04

No. I think if you check you will find almost all the XP files were created before that date, including the cab files.

For that purpose I like Ccleaner.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:00 PM

I would be very carefull doing that.

A upgrade CD only contains the files that have been changed;altered or added to create the newer version. It uses many base files of the origional OS to create the newer OS. Unless you positively know for certain they aren't needed you better leave them alone otherwise you can cripple your system. They wont bother anything and dont really take up that much room.

Just a thought.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

A upgrade CD only contains the files that have been changed;altered or added to create the newer version.

True.
Dates on the files can also mean the dates they were released by microsoft.
Many will precede the actual date you upgrade your own system.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:20 PM

Thanks All:

How about though-the files that are WIN 98 cabs--I surely don't need them--I believe the WIN XP install puts the WIN 98 OS files into cabs in case the XP install is no good and the user must revert back to the prior OS?? Is this correct?--if so how can I ID these files properly?? :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:12 PM

A upgrade CD only contains the files that have been changed;altered or added to create the newer version.

This is not true, you can do a clean install of your new OS from an upgrade disk, you just need the CD of the old OS for authentication.

Quote from this site: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

***Note - If you are clean installing using an XP Upgrade CD you will be asked for a qualifying product at this point. Just pop the CD for your older version of Windows into the drive while the XP setup completes an authenticity check. Following this you will be prompted for the XP CD and setup will continue.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#7 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:08 PM

Well you maybe right Ronbo but I don't know of anyone who has successfully done it and not had problems sooner or later.

I have read statements like that before from other people but none of them said they had actually done it.

Microsft training says a upgrade CD is not a full version of OS.

But just my opinion

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:25 PM

Hi EdBee

I think if you look in add/remove programs you will find the option to uninstall the previous version of Windows, ie 98, as well as the option to uninstall the XP upgrade. During the installation of the upgrade, if you picked the option to save your previous configuration, those files will be grouped together in one folder, however I'm not sure you will even be able to see them using XP unless you installed XP as FAT32.

Why do you want to remove the 98 files?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:30 PM

My agreement regarding the upgrade CD was because I find this after a fresh install:
Posted Image
The latest install was October 31st, 2004
Posted Image
I use a combination of win98 & upgrade winXPpro.

Edited by phawgg, 05 January 2005 - 09:33 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:13 PM

Interesting;

I am looking at the booklet included with MSWindowsXP Home Edition (100$):
It says the cd can be used as an "upgrade" IF all are true:A. Are using a previous version of MS OP System (Win 98 or ME) B.You want to keep your existing files and settings.
The next page (page3) is titled NewInstallation:

Your current OS does not support an upgrade (ie. Win95 or Win 3.1)or you don't have an operating system and lastly your current OS supports upgrade but you don't want your existing files and settings anymore.

This leads me to believe that the CD is standalone product-Does'nt use any of the old WIN 98 OS files.

Leurgy--did find an Uninstall program for WIN 98, but not in the add/remove section. All of the debris from the prior win98 OS is probably because I did't read the instructs when I installed WIN XP. I am famous for that--thanks all. :thumbsup:

To conclude I am gradually deleting the WIN 98 Cabs (putting them into reycle bin a few at a time)--this is on another computer that I don't rely on anyway too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users