Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed A New Hard Drive And Cant Get Everything To Work As I Want

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whodey319

whodey319

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

I had an 80gig hard drive and installed a new 250 gig hard drive. Everything went as planned and it formatted correctly and i wanted to make the new drive the active system drive and the old one as a backup drive. So i used norton ghost to copy the hard drive to the new one and everything appeared to go as planned. Then i made the new hard drive the master and the old the slave and set XP to boot from the new drive.

Now i want to reformat the old hard drive and get everything off of it. When i try to format it, it wont let me because it says there are still processes running off that drive and also some of the icons on my desktop still open the programs from the old drive and half of them open the programs from the new drive.

Did i do something wrong? and if someone could help i would appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

If you've done everything correct, and all you want to do is simply format the old hard drive, then do this:

NOTE: Before attempting to do this, make sure that you have either, backed up or transferred what you need over to the other hard drive or somewhere else.

a. Shut down your computer, take the case off, and verify that the new hard drive is set as the master, and the old hard drive is set as the slave.

b. After doing such, boot up, and then once you're in Windows, just navigate to the slave drive, then format it, by right-clicking on it, and choosing the Format option.

That should be all you need to do.

#3 whodey319

whodey319
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:31 PM

If you've done everything correct, and all you want to do is simply format the old hard drive, then do this:

NOTE: Before attempting to do this, make sure that you have either, backed up or transferred what you need over to the other hard drive or somewhere else.

a. Shut down your computer, take the case off, and verify that the new hard drive is set as the master, and the old hard drive is set as the slave.

b. After doing such, boot up, and then once you're in Windows, just navigate to the slave drive, then format it, by right-clicking on it, and choosing the Format option.

That should be all you need to do.

this is what i did and it wont let me do it because it says processes are still running off that drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users