Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oblivion

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

ok, all i want to do is play Oblivion and enjoy nice graphics, no stuttering, and seamless gameplay.

computer specs:

XP Pro SP2
MSI k8ngm-v mobo
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (64-bit)
2gb pc3200 RAM
600W Xion psu with 2x20amp 12v rails
PCI Radeon 9200 (128mb)
Sony DVD-RW 16x
HP CD-RW 16x
Maxtor 160gb 7200 rpm IDE hdd

i know i need a new graphics card. i have a pci-e slot open.

what is the most affordable graphics card that will give me the ability to play Oblivion on high settings with my system? is there some other part of my system that needs to be upgraded in order to realize this?

thanks for any help.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

Depends on what you consider high settings. My 7800GTX can run it at almost high settings at 1600x1200. Here is a chart showing fps at max settings at 1280x1024. You'll want at least 25-30 fps to play smoothly. Also in cities your processor might be a problem. Here is a long article discussing Oblivion performance at both medium and high settings.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:45 AM

Yea, it's going to depend on your preferences.

My PC can get around 15-30 in outdoor environments. I have some graphically enhancing mods too like Jarrod's texture pack, and LOD landscapes, and natural lighting. However, even without those mods, the game doesn't get a much higher FPS than what I can do outdoors with those mods.

I run it at 800x600, with everything turned up except for outdoor shadows and the draw distance of objects and characters is turned down a little bit. I have also tweaked some settings in the user.ini folder as well.

My PC specs are as follows,

Athlon 4000+
MSI NX7800gt
2 gigs DDR ram.

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

thanks for the input.

so it looks like ATI's X1900XT is going to provide the best bang for my buck.

Mr. Alpha, you mentioned that my processor might bottleneck performance. with a 754 chipset, what are my options for processors? would i just be better off buying a new mobo and Core 2 Duo processor? if i do that will my ram be transferrable?

Wizdabest, is the game enjoyable at those settings? any lag during battles or intense crowds?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

sorry, my cpu is AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 2.0ghz

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

Well, the best 754 processor was the Athlon 64 3700+. But socket 754 was demoted to a budget system and they stopped manufacturing them years ago. Getting a hold of one may pose a significant challenge.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

that is a real bummer. :thumbsup:

i guess now i come to an impass. do i buy the ATI X1950PRO or wait for the next-gen nVidia 8600XT? does my system seem like it will keep up for a while in your professional opinion? will i be able to play games on medium settings for a while with this set-up?

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:02 PM

Your machine is slowly getting old but it should be able to handle most games for a while yet, depending on what type of games you play. RTS's and other processor intensive games will become a problem.

#9 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hey, thanks for the Tom's Hardware link Alpha. That is the first one that shows ACTUAL FPS for Oblivion!
I have an E6600, Nforce590, 8800GTX, 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 (Dual Channel) and sufficient power, and I was getting between 30 and 40 FPS outdoors (max 60 because its a 60Hz LCD @ 1440 x 900px), and I thought there was something wrong with my system. It seems not!

You read all these reviews and they all to 2 bazillion FPS at 40000 x 30000 resolution (slight exaggeration, but you get my point), and then when the system goes together - you're like....WTF?

Cheers!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#10 Auritribe

Auritribe

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

http://www.oldblivion.com

I suggest you try this before shelling out more money. I got Oblivion running at 60fps on a Radeon 9600 XT.

Basically t his turns off bump mapping and pixel shaders, allowing you to play it as though it were morrowind.

It runs very fast on my machine, which doesn't meet the real requirements.

Edited by Auritribe, 17 February 2007 - 01:53 AM.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

Unlike most FPS games, Oblivion relies heavily on the GPU instead of the CPU. Getting a better graphics card should improve things considerably.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users