Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invisible Icons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IainR

IainR

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:36 AM

:thumbsup: I have attempted to upgrade from Me to XP Pro. There were a number if issues, so I uninstalled XP and got most of the functions back. To get the remaining bits back, I thought I'd go for a system restore, but on going in through the menu I get a blank window.

Edited by IainR, 09 February 2007 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HotSauce6226

HotSauce6226

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

well you made a great step to upgrade to xp.. i hate windows me with a passion..
what were some of the issues? drivers? windows update usually fixes that..give some details

#3 IainR

IainR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:57 AM

Main problem is getting Remote desktop to function. I was running with the downloaded version from the MS website tacked on to ME, but I've been getting licence protocol error messages recently. These continued once I'd applied the upgrade. Now I've regressed to Me and removed Remote Desk top in the hope that when I try the upgrade again I will overcome the problem.

However, the modem also would not work after upgrade even when I tried getting a new driver. It's a Motorola SM56 PCI (yep, it's an old machine). Also the virus protection would not do a thing, but that's Norton 2004 (updated annually) so it's probably rather past it's sell-by date anyway.

Now I've regressed to Me to try and sort it out, e-mail is not functioning (I can get to log-in screen, but no further) and I can't run System Restore.

At that point I gave up before I reached the re-programming with a large hammer stage.

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

Is the computer ready for Windows XP?
How much ram do you have installed?
What CPU does the PC have?
How large is the hard drive and how much free space to you have left?
XP needs a pretty quick CPU and IMHO at least 256 MB of ram.
Also you will need a good bit of free hard drive space available for the upgrade.

Below are the minimum system requirements for XP Home and Pro. These are the minimum requirements but I don't recommend running XP Home or Pro with less than 256 MB of ram.

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#5 IainR

IainR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:28 AM

Looks like I'm a bit short on RAM (192MB) but otherwise I'm running with a Celelron 700 and a 20GB hard drive (12.7 available).

#6 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:30 AM

well you made a great step to upgrade to xp.. i hate windows me with a passion..
what were some of the issues? drivers? windows update usually fixes that..give some details

I strongly disagree with your statement to use Windows updates for updating the drivers for your hardware. Doing so is a very bad idea IMHO, it's always better to go to the hardware maker's website and update the drivers from there. Getting hardware drivers from Windows update is not a good idea. Just my 2
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users