Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutting Down Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:56 AM

I have a problem that occured overnight - and i havent installed or messed with anything.

When I want to shut down, after pressing the Start button, i just get the egg timer going mad for quite a while. Eventually the menu comes up to shut down/restart etc; when i eventually select shut down, it just hangs forever. Eventually I had to flick the switch and shut it down that way.

everything else works ok once the system is on.

The latest programme i put on the system was AV Free Spyware

ontop of that i run Windows Defender, AD aware, Spybot, A2 squared, Spyware blaster
the antivirus prog is Avast free and the firewall is zonealarm free.

All the above come back with clean sweeps and are updated frequently.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:04 AM

Didn't you set one of these programs to run during shutdown?

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:28 AM

I havent set anything to run on shutdown, and everything has been running ok until now. As i said, the latest addition i have running is AVG Free Spyware programme, and I dont know if its anything to do with that, or if it is conflicting with anything. I may be completely wrong about it, but i wondered if there is anyway of finding out if there is anything running.

#4 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

Please see a similar problem that fozzie, usasma, and terrorist 75 helped to solve for me:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79279/winxp-slooooow-shutdown-manual-off-needed/

My laptop had a slow shutdown also.

Also, have you reviewed this forum's tutorial on slow computer performance that recommends Autorun? It will tell you what programs are running, so you can use the startup database to keep or delete.

Another suggestion is to do a system restore (in safe mode) to a restore point when you had a good shutdown experience. Sounds like that may have been two days ago. Let us know if any of these steps help you.
drymobius

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

This may give you a clue on what's causing the problem:

Open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
Click on the Processes tab
Click twice on the CPU column header (this will put the most active processes at the top)
Shutdown and observe the activity in Task Manager while it's shutting down.

Edited by usasma, 09 February 2007 - 08:58 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

Thanks everyone ... i will try all these things out tonight and report back with findings

#7 HotSauce6226

HotSauce6226

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

i had a simular problem, have you had any usb devices installed that you unhooked?

#8 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

No. On Thursday night I scanned using AVG Free Spyware prgramme. I watched a dvd on there and looked at emails. That was it until early am Friday when it wouldnt shut down.

I do occasionally plug in ipod and mobile phone leads in the usb ports but they are unplugged

#9 HotSauce6226

HotSauce6226

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

i have a microsoft usb frintprint reader installed. one day i went without it hooked up, would take like 5 min to shutdown, hooked it back up, 3 secs, just a thought

#10 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

I have used check disk, used sfc, and checked disc defrag (but didnt need to) - after that, it has seemed to shut down normally ever since.

Thanks everyone for all your input - it is really appreciated.

regards
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users