Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help On Networking!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wendyjazz

wendyjazz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:07 AM

i am a windows xp user and im new to the networking field i have a few questions but first i shall tell u how my computers are networked

i have a zte router which is connected to a broadband internet service to split the connection between 2 computers i am using a hub and cat 5 cables

i was successful in networking these 2 computers using the create a small office or home network!!

now i would like to learn how to allow restricted access to the hard disks like is there a way to have password enabled access to certain hard disks or certain files or folders

any additional information that anyone can share on this topic wud be extremely helpful

also i want to connect more computers using this hub but i don't want the internet connection on those comps is there a way to do that or will i have to use a new hub or switch for those computers

thanks a lot

wendy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:52 AM

You can limit access by right clicking on the drives to be shared and selecting "Sharing". As for the internet, you can set the settings on the computer to deny access using several different methods depending on what network acces s you'd like to allow (a 3rd party firewall with password protection might be an easier solution tho')
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

another note for no-net access.if your router dosent have the options, you could make a static ip address n the computers you dont want net access to, and make threir "gateway" ip address 0.0.0.0 make sure you give them ip and subnet addresses that coordinate with the other lan nodes, so you can share files on the local network.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 wendyjazz

wendyjazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies but if u cud give me specific steps i wud be really greatful i'm not very techno savy that way!!

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:59 PM

make a static ip
start>control panel>network connections>look for "local area connection">right click>properties>..look for "tcp/ip" in the middle section>highlight it>properties>here is where you can make a "static" ip address. select "use the following ip address">add the network information in the spaces provided. from what i suggested earlier, all you need is the correct ip address, and the subnet mask. give it a ficticious "gateway" address, or none at all, this will give it lan access but not wan.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users