Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kids Using Circumventor/proxy Server To Get To Blocked Sites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markphx

markphx

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum, please move if necessary.

I use a PC monitoring software (System Surveillance Pro) to block sites at home the kids should not be visiting (like when they are "grounded" from using MySpace, among others). Now the resourceful little boogers are using circumventor sites to bypass the blocking.

Short of completely locking down access with a password, is there any way to prevent IE7 from allowing the use of these sites (or other solution).

Thanks for the advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:48 PM

block the proxy sites?

jusst a though dont really know that much about proxies or System Surveillance Pro type software (actually its the kinda stuff I avoid)

Edited by BlackSpyder, 09 February 2007 - 05:49 PM.

Posted Image

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:24 AM

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum, please move if necessary.

I use a PC monitoring software (System Surveillance Pro) to block sites at home the kids should not be visiting (like when they are "grounded" from using MySpace, among others). Now the resourceful little boogers are using circumventor sites to bypass the blocking.

Short of completely locking down access with a password, is there any way to prevent IE7 from allowing the use of these sites (or other solution).

Thanks for the advice.

A solution could be to download and install the MVPS host file which gives you the possibility to block access to particular sites. There is an excellent tutorial here on BC on that subject.

Obviously there is nothing like a good "get to gether "between parents and children :thumbsup: ..

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:58 AM

I recommend you setup a limited account for the kids and password protect any user accounts with administrative rights. I've done this on my teenage daughters PCs and it works well. Also if you go into the Security settings Custom Level you can prevent the kids from downloading anything. It sounds rather harsh but keep in mind that you are doing so for their protection and not just to be a dick. I've allowed my girls to earn more rights on the computer if they follow my rules. This is just how I handle it others may have different thoughts and ideas on how to handle it. Remember that you paid for the computer and allowing the kids to use it is a privilege not a right. To disable downloads in the limited accounts see screen shot.

Posted Image
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users