Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ffsct1

ffsct1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

I got infected through an e-mail from a friend. The message said "Say goodbye to windows" and than the computer rebooted. When it restarted I got a black screen w/ a blinking cursor and nothing else. I can access the BIOS. I booted to ERD Commander and attached to my Windows install and used System Restore but that didn't work. I used the system restore disk and restored my laptop from the factory image partition , it copied the image (which I could see as it progressed) and than when I rebooted it did the same thing (black screen). Has anyone heard of something like this before? I couldn't find any info at MacAfee, Symantec, AVG, Trend Micro websites. Can someone please help? Thanks

Is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

B.O.C.
Is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

B.O.C.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

Have you contacted the person who supposedly sent you the email that you suspect is the cause of this problem? The reason I ask is because it could just be a coincidence and you have a problem other than malware. I see a lot of info on the web about black screen and blinking cursor but nothing about it being caused my malware.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users