Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Original Cd But No Product Code

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 starshine2006

starshine2006

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

I have a client who gave me a computer they tried to "fix" themselves. The computer came to me in parts. First I put it back together and asked for the original CD, which they had. Of course, they changed the case and there were no stickers on the "new" case. Now, i have an original Cd but no COA or product key. I have searched google and majorgeeks for ways to possibly recover the code from the CD itself, but have been unsuccessful. Can anyone tell me how to recover a code from the CD itself - is this possible at all? :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

if there was a way to do that, it would have been all over the net years ago. crackers would have picked up on that pretty quick

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

The CDs don't have the code in them. The number comes on a sticker, and when the operating system is installed, the number is input by the user (except in the case of some major company installations, where the operating system is already installed). Once the number is input, it is in the registry, and when the OS is activated, an inventory is taken of the hardware on the machine and tied to that product identification number. Attempting to go online with two computers that have the same number will shut down the operating system in both of them.

Now, if you can get the computer running, you can find the number using a utility like Magical Jellybean Keyfinder or many others. The thing to do in this case is to find the original computer case and get the number off the sticker, assuming someone else hasn't used it since it was disassembled. Also, the hardware should be relatively the same as it was. I have installed a new motherboard, and then called Microsoft's number to re-register the machine and get a new product ID.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

Attempting to go online with two computers that have the same number will shut down the operating system in both of them.

Nope... not really!

I've been doing that for years now, and have never had that problem. Right now I have 3 machines with the same Product Key, two at my location, and 1 machine somewhere else, and they all are online, and they all have been online for a few years without any problems, using the same Key.

I would suspect the machines that do get shut down may have had too many copies of it made, and those people have made copies too, and passed them out. But in the M$ License Agreement, they specifically state that they have no way of telling how many machines a Product Key is on. I believe them for saying that only because I've activated Windows with the same Key, on numerous computers for years, and had them all online, updated, and working perfectly, at the same time, and to this day, none of my computers ever stopped working due to Key issues.

But, you can also get your Product Key by using this FREE software:

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...e-Edition.shtml
EVEREST Home Edition is a free system diagnostics, system information and benchmarking solution for home PC users, based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology. If you don't know what type of video card you have, or anything else about your computer, then you'll need this.

Worse comes to worst, you can call M$ and they will give you a Product Key in less than 5 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users