Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected By A Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kinote

Kinote

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hello, a friend of mine recommended these forums to me to help out with my problem.

My computer has been hit with a virus that has burrowed into my Windows/System directory (AVG reported it to be: Trojan Horse Downloader.Agent.IOJ) and I am unable to get rid of it. I ran an AVG scan immediately and the file was reported as healed. Scans afterwards reveal that there are no viruses on the system. The virus causes some programs not to run at all, and my computer to be fairly sluggish for ten minutes to fourty-five minutes, and then everything returns to normal and is fine. This makes no sense to me. I have tried several System Restores from about twelve hours before the virus was put into my system, and they work fine. The catch with the System Restore is that the problem is only corrected until I reboot. When I reboot my system all the older files are there, but the affects of the virus persist. I have included a screen shot of my Task Manager a few moments after boot.

--------------------------------
(The floating menu is due to system lag, caused by the virus. Don't mind it.) Nothing under User Names, which is really odd. After a while when the system returns to normal, so do the names in this empty column.
Posted Image

Edited by Kinote, 08 February 2007 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

Install Super Antispyware. Run in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Do an online scan with BitDefender. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the directions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Edited by buddy215, 08 February 2007 - 10:33 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Kinote

Kinote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for your help, mate. I ran both programs as instructed, BitDefender came up with nothing and SASW came up with ten tracking cookies, but that's it. I poked around my AVG vault and came up with this information:

File name: mswinup.exe
File path: C:\Windows\system32\winsecurityxp
Discovery: Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.IOJ

Edited by Kinote, 09 February 2007 - 03:53 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

Please post the Hijack This log in the proper forum.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users