Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Information Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

HI,Everyone!!
Would appreciate any comments on the' Linux operating system' especially the Knoppix CD!!
that can be used instead of installing to hard drive.
Many thanks in advance
Oldbod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

What sort of comments are you looking for? There are already quite a few threads about different distros.....

#3 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

master, the young padawan wishes to come over to the dark side, muwhahaha. :thumbsup:

just kidding oldbod, i've been dying to use that line. knoppix is great. everyone should have a copy stashed away in a safe deposit box. i read that somewhere. it said all system administrators should have a knoppix cd in their toolbox. it's a great tool that may save the data on your computer someday. other live cd's can help also but knoppix has the most tools on it. it can be installed but it's really intended to be a live cd. it's not just a utility cd either. it can be used just like any other live cd's. surf the web, play games, etc, etc. i used it once to run a virus scan on my windoze partition.

as groovicus says; do you have specific questions? if you have any problems there are lots of folks on the dark side willing to help. i say "go for it". try some other live cd's also. the idea of live cd's is to see which one works on your computer and also to see which programs you like. they are all different in some way. so feel free to experiment with a few of 'em.

ubuntu, pclinuxos, puppy, mandriva one, mepis, sabayon, dreamlinux are some i recommend. i'm currently digging elive very much.

jedi knight cybormoron out.
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#4 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Thanks groovicus & cybormoran, I am 81y/o and trying hard to find out
info on computer workings etc. Linux is new to me and would appreciate
knowing what user's think of it!! Is it worth bothering about, what sort of
virus,spyware and other programs are compatable? anything that you think is relevent to assist my late education and ease the struggle.
Many thanks
Jim

#5 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

greets oldbod
when you're new to linux it is going to be a little confusing, especially if you're used to the windows way of doing things. I've noticed a good mix of easy and configurable from Ubuntu (6.10 is the latest stable release) but if you want to dive right in and get your hands dirty you might want to try knoppix or kanotix if you've got an older machine you could also try out damn small linux (DSL). If you just want to surf the net, and play around with things any one of these liveCD's will work just fine.
They are all a little different, but that's just the way of linux, every distro will have some things in common, but they're all set up just a little different from each other.

#6 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

Linux is new to me and would appreciate
knowing what user's think of it!!

Is it worth bothering about, what sort of
virus,spyware and other programs are compatable?

anything that you think is relevent to assist my late education and ease the struggle.

What do I think of Linux? I believe it is a kernel developed to build an operating system around. I think this building leads to a stable and robust OS that I get to set to do what I want it to do. I may choose differet desktop managers, file managers, package managers to what I want...(not windows bashing) not rely on what some hacker in a clean room decides I need or want or should have. Linux is about freedom and options. More on that later if you like. There's a commercial out, It has a man dressed as an Apple Mac, arguing with a man who's dressed as a window about hwo does what better. While they are arguing, this geeky little kid with 3 arms comes in and interrupts them saying something like, "Hey guys", they both look at him and say "hello, Linux" very drolly> Linux then says, "Look, I've made myself a third arm so I can be more productive." with that he wanders off. That about sums up the difference between *nix and many other OS's. You make it work how you want.

You will hear a bit about spyware/antivirus stuff in the linux world. You really don't need it. Though there are viruses written for linux, because of the way Linux works, you would actually have to install it your self and make it run. Linux only does what you tell it. Further, viruses in Linux are written mostly to attack certain server applications or Mail Server applications, and are specific to the version and appliction itself. I myslef have only recently began running antivirus on my *nix box. Not of necessity, but of responsibility. I found something out I overlooked before. Just because the viruses don't work, doesn't mean they aren't there. For example, If I type a document in MS Word, and it gets infected by a virus, the virus has become part of that document. If I send it to a linux box, nothing will happen to that computer, but the virus is still there. When that Linux box mails it wo a windows box, it could inadvertantly infect the windows box. So, real answer, you don't need it, but it would be the responsible thing to do. You'll find sometimes the linux community can be a bit elitist. Their attitudes can sometimes be like "If they catch a virus then it serves them right for using that OS." While it may be true, it's not a very responsible attitude.

To help you out, I would reccommend the Linux Bible, found at many computer, and book stores. If not, it's in Amazon. Linux for Dummies is a great place to start as well. I am a collector of the for dummies books, they have a way of teaching you exactly what you need to know in a way you will deffinately retain.

Dang it...didn't mean to make it this long of a post.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#7 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Jombee and Joedude,have read your messages and will sure use your advice.
oldbod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users