Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Menu Pop-Ins.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wink

Wink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:27 AM

Hello from the Frosty North, - 44 C. with the wind chill,
Happy New Year to everyone!

I have 2 Start Up Menu entries that keep coming back, against my wishes mind you.
One is Msnmsgr, this is what I removed:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Msnmsgr"="\"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe\" /background"
The other one is TkBellExe:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"TkBellExe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\" -osboot"
I have removed these two items several times from the Start Up Menu, and I was wondering if there is a way to keep them from coming back?
This is my Start Up list after I deleted those two items.
CcApp, "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe", HKEY_LM\Run
Cmaudio, RunDll32 Cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd, HKEY_LM\Run
Desktop, N/A, Start Menu (Common User)
Hp Psc 1000 Series, N/A, Start Menu (Common User)
IntelliType, "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe", HKEY_LM\Run
NeroCheck, C:\WINDOWS\System32\NeroCheck.exe, HKEY_LM\Run
NvCplDaemon, RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup, HKEY_LM\Run
Pointer, Point32.exe, HKEY_LM\Run
SiS7012Utility, C:\WINDOWS\System32\SiSAudUt.exe -wdm, HKEY_LM\Run
SpySubtract, N/A, Start Menu (Common User)
Symantec NetDriver Monitor, C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe, HKEY_LM\Run
I try to keep this list as short as possible, any help would be appreciated , have a great day. I think I fixed the 3RD problem on my own, thank you.
Wink

Edited by Wink, 04 January 2005 - 10:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:38 PM

Hi wink, :flowers: to BC. Its a balmy 19 degrees around here, I don't what the wind chill factor is though. :thumbsup:

To stop msn from starting with windows just open msn messenger, click on tools, then options, general tab then uncheck automatically run messenger when I log on to windows. That will stop it from running at start up.

The other one is part of your Real Player. To stop that from running at start up you have to do this, go to this folder on your computer; C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB. Inside this folder is a file named realsched, you have to rename this so it will not start at start up. To do that open your taskmanager, go to the Process tab, select realsched, right click on the process and select End Process. After shutting the process down, rename the file you found earlier to realsched.old. This will stop that process from starting up and your real player will still work fine.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 Wink

Wink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:42 AM

Thank You! Ronbo for your reply. I would not of figured out how to stop the Real Player from coming back into the Start Up List, I could of never guessed that particular file was the culprit.
MSN Messenger is maybe not quite so simple, the Box you suggested was already unchecked, but in the Task Manager I maybe have 2 processes concerning MSN, they are:
msmsgs.exe
msnmsgr.exe
Both processes priority are set on normal.
Thanks again, by the way we are still in a deep freeze here in Saskatchewan - 34 degrees C. Burrrrrrrrrrr that is cold.

Wink :thumbsup:

Edited by Wink, 05 January 2005 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users