Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid "add/remove" Entries

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pippocavalieri

pippocavalieri

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

i am using Regseeker to clean my registry database.
running the installed applications utility (invalid add/remove entries) i am getting a list of apps wich shoud be invalid.
in fact the list of applications is different of the add/remove programs (start ==> control panel ==> add/remove programs) list. examples of invalid applications are:
msi30-beta1
msi30-beta2
any kbxxxxx entries
iedata etc. etc..
i am looking to realize what those entries are, ...
searching the google was not really helpful..
does exists criteria to decide wich of them are save to delete?

Thank you in advance
pippocavalieri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

[quote name='pippocavalieri' date='Feb 8 2007, 02:15 PM' post='447033']
msi30-beta1
msi30-beta2
any kbxxxxx entries
iedata etc. etc..
[/qoute]

msi30-xxx these are microsoft installer utility beta's, probably safe to delete.
anything that starts with KB and ends in a number are hotfixes don't do anything with them
iedata sounds pretty self explanatory to me internet exploder something or other

#3 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

The Startup Database tutorial found here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ should help you decide which programs to keep, and which to disable or delete.
drymobius

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

The best way to clean your registry is to re-install Windows from scratch. Otherwise, I would avoid using registry cleaners. There really is no protection against deleting important and critical data.

#5 pippocavalieri

pippocavalieri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

herk,
you are right, when you say that the best way to clean the register is to reinstall windows from scratch....
but, in my opinion, reinstalling cannot be the only solution..
for example, if after deinstalling a symantec product i discover about 100 registry entries relating to symantec i do not reinstall my operating system, but i will try to safe delete the entries of the obsolete or
missing software.
so i am trying to learn the mechanisms of the registry database...

pippocavalieri

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

Playing with the registry is dangerous. This is because you don't know what each entry is hooked into - and if removing it will break the OS.

Using an automated registry cleaner to do this is trusting that the programmer has anticipated your situation correctly.

I'd suggest a removal tool for Symantec products rather than a registry cleaner to do this.

Finally, there's at least one good tool for this available for this. It's Total Uninstall (shareware - although you can find the last freeware version on the web). BUT, it must be used while installing the program so that it can monitor the changes that are made. Then you can manually go back and delete/change everything that it's done.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 pippocavalieri

pippocavalieri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:32 AM

hey usasma,
thank you for your replay.
i have no intention to "play" with the registry database...
the symantec example was jiust an example...i have no necessity to delete symantec registry entries (i know the symantec cleanning tool, i used it helping a frien of mine).
my intention remain to focalize the importance of the registry db...
in fact after a certain number of install/deinstall actions the database becomes populated with a lot of entries wich are NOT really necessary..
causing slow system performances and so on..

pippocavalieri

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

Registry changes occur quite frequently. In trying to find a registry key that SFC.EXE uses to call for SP2 I found over 500 registry changes in the 10 to 15 seconds that I was scanning the registry.

And this wasn't while any program was being installed. The use of Total Uninstall will tell you how many registry entries were deleted, created, or modified. And the logfile will tell you which ones they were. Using it to uninstall will let you know if everything is removed - and if it's not, then it gives you a list so that you can go hunt the buggers down to kill them.

But a generic registry cleanup tool cannot anticipate the actions of each individual programmer. If the programmer adds key "x" to the registry - and the cleaner doesn't anticipate this - then there's a good chance that key "x" will be left on the system.

That being said, I'd consider the safest registry tool to be one that was made by the folks who made the registry - in this case it's Microsoft. They have a free online registry cleaner available here: http://safety.live.com/

The caveat here is that overuse of any registry cleaner can cause problems with your system. Because this effect seems to be cumulative, it's doubtful if a registry backup would enable you to recover from it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users