Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Problem, Just Setup Advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

If this isn't the proper department I apologize. Please alert me and I'll delete this thread and repost elsewhere.
Otherwise, ultimately, I'm tired of dealing with technical issues with my machine. I think it's time for me to learn how to build my own. No overclocking, no watercooling, just a nice healthy machine that will last 2-3 years. Although I'm new to machines I'm not dumb, did some research and learned about ATX boards and proper sockets.

Here is my Newegg setup :huh: :
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishli...Title=Crossfire

Windows XP Professional SP2 (Already purchased)
2xHDDs running in RAID 0 (Raptors)

What I'm worried about:
1. How do I know if the HDD fans will fit?
2. Will my power supply be sufficient? I was trying to keep below $2500 since this is my first build.
3. I use a lot of big files (500mb+) for editing and I do quite a bit of gaming, what stripe size is fastest?
4. Am I missing anything vital? :huh:

From my understanding it's as simple as putting everything together.. follow the motherboard quick installation, install Windows, install the RAID drivers, set the striping size, have fun.

Thank you for all comments/flames! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

How do you know if the hard drive fans will fit? Try them out! :thumbsup: Actually, what's critical with them is that you have enough room for them under the hard drive - this'll require at least 4 hard drive bays to house 2 drives (6 for 3 drives). The case only has 5 internal 3.5" bays - but you may be able to use the 2 external 3.5" bays for one of the drives and it's cooler.

I think that the PSU will be adequate, but I'd be more comfortable with a 750 myself.

If you use a lot of big files I wonder if the 2 - 74 gB Raptors will be enough for you? The 150 gB Raptors are just as fast and they hold a lot more.

Stripe size reference: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/c...rfStripe-c.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

Wow so each hard drive fan requires an entire bay?! And I've learned my lesson about storing my files on my Windows drive!

I'm storing all my big files on my storage drives and leaving Windows just enough space to handle 20-30gigs at a time with plenty of room to spare with RAID 0.

I'll upgrade my PSU and prepare to collect the parts to get her built! Thank you for the review, if anyone else has anything to add (positive or negative) please do so I get everything right the first time. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users