Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative Browser

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hgfds

hgfds

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

Because of a malware infection I am going to try a different browser.
I found the names of several popular ones but I wanted to check with you folks.

Any reccomendations?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:18 PM

FIREFOX!

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

Make that two.
I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#4 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

Yes I agree because I use Firefox as well but............... check out Opera as well. :thumbsup:

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

Have not had any Spyware or Malware infections since switching to Firefox.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

I still favor Firefox, it just has too many great extension that I can't live without. There are quite a few good alternative browsers out there though. Firefox makes a good clean simple browser that you can keep simple or add on to. Seamonkey is like Firefox but without the default simplicity, they give you a browser, an email client, an editor, and the kitchen sink. The Opera browse is also good, it offers a lot of the functions you can add to Firefox in their default setup.
Posted Image

#7 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

More and more often I receive an error message in Firefox (not malware related since my HJT log is clean): firefox has to shut down etc.

I disabled some extensions, since those seem to be related sometimes and that helped I thought, but than suddenly I receive the message two three times almost in a row; vey irritating since you have to start your browser up again and again...

You never have experienced that problem?

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

Has never happened to me Falu,but have a look at the MozillaZine KB article; Firefox Crashes.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:15 PM

Firefox
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

FireFox but Ive also been using The World Browser for the last week and its been descent (but its a BETA)

Posted Image

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

Ive also been using The World Browser for the last week and its been descent (but its a BETA)

It's also based on the IE engine, which makes it susceptible to the same problems, and security flaws, as IE.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:28 PM

I have used Firefox since 0.0.7 ,I like it :thumbsup: , Some like Opera also (I didn't)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

Opera!!!

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

More and more often I receive an error message in Firefox (not malware related since my HJT log is clean): firefox has to shut down etc.

I disabled some extensions, since those seem to be related sometimes and that helped I thought, but than suddenly I receive the message two three times almost in a row; vey irritating since you have to start your browser up again and again...

You never have experienced that problem?

Try it again with a clean profile, you can make one by going to Start > Run > firefox.exe -profilemanager

If the problems don't come back up just use that profile and import your bookmarks and extensions and such into there. If it's still screwing up after that, uninstall and reinstall Firefox. You may also want to delete the profile directory, which is down in the Documents and Settings folder.
Posted Image

#15 hgfds

hgfds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

Thanks folks,
Seems Firefox or Opera are my best choices.
I will check them both out and choose one to install unless someone else posts here about a serious objection to one or the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users