Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Display/no Sound Mixers/etc.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChocolateChu

ChocolateChu

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

Well, I am happy to say that thanks to RichieUK in HJT logs, my computer is doing pretty well. :thumbsup: (Just got over a huge virus infection) There are still a few problems left but it's all XP stuff so he sent me here. :]

Note: All these problems appeared yesterday. I don't know if they're related or whatnot. I don't know know jack about this kind of stuff so if I should make another thread for one of these problems, please tell me. D: As for how they happened, I'm not quite sure. I was experiencing problems with my old Firewall and I restarted the computer. Just kinda showed up after that.

The Problems:
- All the windows bars (start bar/desktop bar) are a whitish tan. They're supposed to be blue. But they're not. (Already changed the options to "adjust for best appearance" and I've already messed with the Task Bar and Start Menu thing in Control Panel)
- Trying to get into Volume Control gets me: There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close."
- When I try to access "Add Hardware", I hear a little activity in the HD, and then nothing.
- It tells me there are no printers installed. "There was a problem printing. No Printer could be found." (I just printed a homework paper day before yesterday. D<)
- Cannot Switch User

Important Stuffs:
- I have no XP disk. (No this isn't a stolen copy of XP, this computer was given to us by a friend. xD)
- Cannot do a System Restore as it was turned off. (Have no idea why though.)
- I don't know if I have a recovery partition. When I try to open disk management to check I get this error: "The dependency service or group failed to start."

All those recently changed things:
- Changed Firewalls today.
- Got a new mouse last week. (Microsoft Intellipoint oh how I love it. <3)

Past Problems:
- Only thing I can really think of is I had a helluva problem with my USB port. But that's because my old mouse plug was bent. D: Got a new one and it works fine now.
- Of course that virus problem I mentioned before.

Running Programs:
Firefox
SuperAntiSpyware
Avast! VRBD
Avast! On-Access Scanner
Lavasoft Firewall

Hope ya'll can help me with my problem. D: I love my music and if this computer won't have sound I'll have to jack my brother's computer. XD

If you need any more information, just lemme know.

Things tried:
RichieUK had me download DeskFix.
Could not run it so he had me install "Windows Script 5.6".
It ran but the only thing that happened was my wallpaper disappeared.

Edited by ChocolateChu, 08 February 2007 - 06:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

This has the looks that your operating system is in some aspects corrupted. Doesn't your brother has a XP cd?

#3 ChocolateChu

ChocolateChu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:08 PM

This has the looks that your operating system is in some aspects corrupted. Doesn't your brother has a XP cd?

Unfortunately, no. He bought his computer with XP already installed on it. If I need to buy one, I think I can. But Are there no alternatives? D:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

Yes, there are alternatives - but most of them will require that you use Windows files that are on the CD. Does the computer have a restore partition? Does it have a Windows sticker on it with the 25 digit key code? Can you order them from the computer manufacturer?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users