Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vmware Ipo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:14 AM

VMware goes public today.
if you're the type who might want to invest a few dollars, this might be the time to do it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

what is VMware? :thumbsup:
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#3 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

nevermind, i googled it. looks promising.

please don't think i am an idiot. i am young. how does one invest in an IPO? is that what e-trade is for? :thumbsup:

how do i find out what there stock is selling for?

thanks Jombee
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

To first be allowed to look at IPO's :
1. You must have a minimum of $50,000 equity with "BROKERAGE" per account.
That means you need cash and securities in an account for approx 6 mo.

2. You will additionally be required to meet certain eligibility criteria with respect to your investment objectives and financial status. You will thereafter be required to re-certify your eligibility prior to participation in future New Issue offerings.

Means the want to know they CAN get the money from you in a heartbeat. Unless you're maintaining $50K + in the account you cannot trade IPO's
Also once purchased you cannot sell an IPO for 90 days
What is NASD Rule 2790?

Pursuant to NASD Rule 2790 (the "Rule"), YOUR BROKERAGE may not sell or cause to be sold a new issue (as defined in the Rule; generally, initial public offerings of equity securities) to any account in which a restricted person holds a beneficial interest, subject to certain general exemptions prescribed by the Rule. YOUR BROKERAGE requires its customers to indicate whether or not an account is eligible to purchase IPO shares in accordance with the Rule. In addition, in connection with any new issue, you hereby represent that you will not act as a finder (i.e., a person who receives compensation for identifying potential investors in an offering) or in a fiduciary capacity to any managing underwriter of any new issue and that you shall notify YOUR BROKERAGE immediately in the event that such representation ceases to be true and correct. Please note that you will be required to provide this certification to YOUR BROKERAGE on no less than an annual basis.

ETrade is a brokerage house ( an entity for you to trade thru). You need to open an account ,send money.
Once established you can call or elecronically trade (E Trade) equities. They generally charge 6 16 dollars per trade.

Price
When it becomes public you can look up it's symbol on almost any browser that has a Get stock Quote box on it. I looked in IPO's and did not see it today..

Edited by boopme, 08 February 2007 - 09:41 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:29 AM

thanks for the info. unfortunately, i am still too young to have 50k inequity anywhere. only out of college for 3 years. i guess i won't be making it rich in the stock market anytime soon. :thumbsup:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

Those restrictions are for IPO's. you can open an account to trade stock with 2k,albeit you can only trade with about half of that due to margin considerations.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

Whats its starting price?

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

Interesting. I'd say buy. This could get a big jump like Google's stock did.

Also in your opinion (or what do you use) TD Ameritrade or e-trade..

I was thinking about signing up for one a while back. Also what is the smallest I can use to start up an account (or to start trading). I realize you said 2k, but is there any plans that let you start lower?

Edited by yano, 15 February 2007 - 01:34 PM.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

I cant seem to find any info on this ipo. Are you sure its trading today?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

I haven't seen it yet, not even in future IPO offerings. In fact I've only found it associated with Hewlit Packard

VMware, Inc. 3145 Porter Drive Palo Alto CA 94304 USA Tel 650-475-5000
Copyright 2006 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved. VMware is a registered trademark of VMware, Inc.

Edited by boopme, 15 February 2007 - 01:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users