Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Supreme Commander

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:51 AM

Anyone play the demo yet? If so, thoughts?

Anyone else start thumbing over their finances to see if an upgrade is possible in the near future? :thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

Supreme Commander? Is that the new Command and Conquer 3 that's coming out? :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

Blaspheme! It is the "spiritual successor" to Total Annihilation. I've been playing with the demo all day, and been drooling after the game for years.

Hrmpf! Though it was C&C3. What is this world coming to?

As a side note, considering all this talk about whether dual-cores will ever have a use in gaming. A quick quote form the readme: "Running a dual or quad core processor is one of the best ways to improve performance in Supreme Commander Demo."
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

Here are some screenies for those who haven't ogled at them yet. Even better, here's the trailer which includes in-game footage...and here's another game-play demo.

Yes, I have played TA since 97 or so (perhaps even 96?) and for so many years we've wished for a sequal...and now it's here!

As for the dual core...yes, multi-core procs are going to show their greatest value in RTS games, methinks. Calculating the behavior and positions of vast numbers of complex models...wow. That's where my machine has its troubles; my proc is a socket 478 2.8 p4 w/ 800 fsb, and it's taxed to the max (at least, when the big battles occur). I also have 2 gigs of memory. I couldn't imagine playing the game on the min requirements!

If your machine is having trouble with the game, try turning off the shadows...that helps a lot.

You know...I played the original game on a P1 200 mHz machine w/ 32 megs of RAM. The game killed it when the map was full of units; a few nukes and the FPS would rise dramatically... :thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:51 AM

I've turned all the graphics settings to minimum, except resolution, because you need a high resolution to keep good track of things when you zoom out. The real problem is unit limit, to be able to crank the unit limit to what I want I need a faster processor, and I already have a dual-core! But when you got 4+ players all at the unit limit whacking away at each other, well it's no Warcraft 3.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

A few more notes:

I like the unit balance, and how long it takes to build the high-end units.

Spider-bots kick booty.

I like the energy-mass collection scheme...3 levels of collection. I do wish they had added a way to simply auto-upgrade a metal mine, rather than having to reclaim it and build a new one.

I like how factories upgrade, rather than having to build each one seperate. I really like how con. units can build lower level stuff...so a level 3 con. unit can produce level 2 and 1 structures; upgraded factories have this ability too.

Ships with legs! Need I say more?

Anyway, one of the few criticisms I have read about SupCom is the fact that the units are relatively similar, other than the advanced units and experimentals. Here's my thought on this: they should have similar units. In real historical wars, conventional weapons are always relatively similar in function and design...rifles, vehicles, ect. They of course have performance differences, and varied in appearance, but basically function the same way. SupCom is based on three human factions...in other words they have common ancestors, so their tech histories are common as well. Therefore the basic units should be relatively similar. Tanks, base defenses, basic ships, planes, ect.

On the other side of the coin, I always thought it was down right silly that Red Alert, for example, had such a disparity of units on both sides. The allies make ships, the Soviets make subs. The Soviets can't make ships? Why not? Why can't the Soviets build base defense turrets? It's not for lack of technology! Why wouldn't both sides have access to similar basic units and structures?

I suppose in examples such as StarCraft, in which the belligerents are completely alien to each other, perhaps fighting techniques would be very different.

But, um, that game still sucked. Just so long as we are clear on that point. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Edited by locally pwned, 13 February 2007 - 07:41 PM.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

I do wish they had added a way to simply auto-upgrade a metal mine, rather than having to reclaim it and build a new one.

Huh? The mass extractors can be upgraded.

As a side-note: I am now a official owner of one copy of Supreme Commander. :thumbsup:

#8 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

I do wish they had added a way to simply auto-upgrade a metal mine, rather than having to reclaim it and build a new one.

Huh? The mass extractors can be upgraded.

As a side-note: I am now a official owner of one copy of Supreme Commander. :thumbsup:

Whaaat? I will have to look at that again...

And, whaaaaaat? I thought the release date was the 20th? Or do you mean you've pre-ordered a copy?

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:59 AM

The release date varies depending on where in the world you are, and here it is the 16th. :thumbsup:

#10 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

Doh! It's ironic, I am at a lan today...today...3 days short of including Supreme Commander...

Somehow it also strikes me as ironic that the folks that produced the game are a few hours away from my location and I have to wait 4 more days to play...

Oh well, I won't be able to really harness the full power of the game until I upgrade in a few months. But I will still pick up the game!

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

I tried the supreme commander demo, and its actually pretty fun! It even works fine with my lousy system (pentium 4 2.8Ghz, 512mb of ram, ATI x1300 256mb PCI ). How much is this game suppose to cost when it comes out?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

Same as most AAA PC games; around 50 I imagine.

#13 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:22 PM

I got it! No stores 'round here even had it until the 21st.

It seems to run better than the demo did on my machine. I played one multi-player game with a friend. I lost, but at least I had a few good battles. SupCom comes with a built in replay viewer, so you can watch your games and learn from your mistakes. My overall problem was lack of resources; I didn't get my early economy going quickly enough.

I had moments to go before finishing a spider-bot when he assaulted my base. I lost all my construction units and couldn't finish it.

I uttered something along the lines of, "nooooooo....."

But, when my commander died, the explosion blunted his attack and gave me time to finish the bot. Mwaha!

However, by the time I got it down to his base, he had wiped out my power stations. The poor-spider bot was up against a Galactic Colossus with no power to fire it's main laser! Needless to say, it didn't go well.

I uttered something along the lines of, "nooooooo....."

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

Been there, done that, uttered "noooooo..."

I'm afraid your spider bot would have gotten its posterior kicked by the Galactic Colossus even with power.

#15 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

Been there, done that, uttered "noooooo..."

I'm afraid your spider bot would have gotten its posterior kicked by the Galactic Colossus even with power.

I suppose you are correct. I wasn't expecting a GC to be there. That is, I was hoping for a lightly-defended "under belly" ripe for the pickin'. But if the laser had been powered, at least it would have produced a, "touché," rather than a "nooo..!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users