Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer And Usb Cable Question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:30 AM

My Canon S330 photo printer has gone kaput. While looking through PC Worlds on line site to get an idea of prices etc I decided that I would probably go for the "printer-scanner-copier" type and as printing is something I only use occasionally for letters etc I decided to go the cheap and nasty way and was tempted by the Lexmark X1270 which they were selling for 30.

While reading further on the info for this item it said USB cable not supplied and recommended a Belkin PC-Printer 2.1mtr USB 1.1 / 2.0 Cable reduced from 20-10 as an additional purchase.

My question is: Are USB cables supplied with universal sockets and if so will the cable attached to my present printer suffice for the new one or do I need to buy a cable as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:52 AM

As far as I can tell the USB cables are the same. I use the same cable that I got with one printer on another printer. One end is flat the other is boxy, as long as you have that you should be OK. The only difference would be 1.0 or 2.0
I think....
Hopefully somebody reallly smart will come along and tell you if I'm wrong. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

From my experiences with various printers, they all seem to use the same usb cable. Worst case scenario is that your current usb cable wont' work and you'll have to get another one that will work, which you could probably pick up locally.

As for usb 1 and 2.....if your computer is only usb 1 then the printer/computer will drop down to that speed. It'll be a bit slower, but you'll be fine. Updating to windows sp2 will (should) also upgrade you to usb 2.0 (or whatever they're at now, I forget :flowers: ).

Hopefully somebody reallly smart will come along and tell you if I'm wrong. :trumpet:

I'm not that somebody! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:17 PM

Printers use a standard USB cable (mine didnt come with a cable so I had to buy one)

Posted Image

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I will just use my present cable and save some money.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users