Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Car Surfing.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:08 AM

Our teenagers here are playing a deadly game,called Car Surfing.I was awoken at around 2.am about three weeks ago,with the sounds of sirens in my street.A teenager lay motionless on the road,not 100yds from my house.He is in the local Hospital on life support with Head injuries.Two others are still in a coma after weeks.
Is this a problem only here in OZ,or are you seeing the same over there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:11 AM

I know a couple of guys who have done that.
When you're a kid it seems hilarious, but as an adult, its like one of the dumbest things ever.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:47 AM

I know a couple of guys who have done that.
When you're a kid it seems hilarious, but as an adult, its like one of the dumbest things ever.

Thanks tink536.I cannot think of a more stupid game,if I tried.This is the most dangerous sport imaginable.
I'll bet the Parents don't know what their teenage sons are up to.The way they play it here is,stand on the roof of the car,hold on to nothing and see what speed the car can reach before you fall off.Quick way to meet your maker.I did some stupid stunts as a teenager,but nothing as mental as this.I hadn't heard anything on TV whether this is going on in the USA.Hence the inquiry.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:51 AM

A few years ago there was this new thing called trainsurfing. KIds would jump on trains and do the same. Carsurfing was here also popular some time ago. After 3 fatal incidents within 1 weekend it stopped. My eldest son ( at that time 14) considered that to be very cool. I told him that if he wanted to inflict injuries upon himself he should not bother to stand on cars, I would be very pleased to help him..

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:30 AM

A few years ago there was this new thing called trainsurfing. KIds would jump on trains and do the same. Carsurfing was here also popular some time ago. After 3 fatal incidents within 1 weekend it stopped. My eldest son ( at that time 14) considered that to be very cool. I told him that if he wanted to inflict injuries upon himself he should not bother to stand on cars, I would be very pleased to help him..

They tried Train Surfing here in Sydney also,about 18 months ago.On the busy suburban Electric network.
If I remember correctly,2 or 3 were electricuted in about 3 weeks,so they stopped that.
It just wasn't "Cool" anymore.

#6 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:13 AM

this is natural selection at it's finest.
Now don't get me wrong, I've done some real dumb things. but for the love of god,
this is happening around here in Massachusetts, and I guess someone got killed and the parents are trying to sue the company who made the car.

#7 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

this is happening around here in Massachusetts, and I guess someone got killed and the parents are trying to sue the company who made the car.

I hope those parents aren't wondering why their kid was so dumb. If they are, have them give me a call and I'll spell it out to them. :inlove:

Suing the car company, let me get an owner's manual. Yes, it says right here that standing on the roof is exactly how the car is supposed to function.
Let me retract my previous statement since I was obviously wrong. :flowers:

Say it together everyone...MORONS.
:thumbsup:

It truly is a wonder that I feel like a bleeping genius when I read the Darwin Awards. :trumpet:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

I can see riding on a car flat on your tummy like with both hands hanging inside the open moon roof but standing up is so stupid.

We had some of this around this state some time ago. I didnt hear of anyone getting hurt but I havent heard of anyone doing it anymore either.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

Yes I've seen this in the news. Another dumb things kids do. But we've all done some dumb things. When I was 12 we (4 of us)made a homemade wooden raft. We floated it in the Hudson River. We attempted the grand voyage to the State of Liberty. We didn't even take money, ha hah ha. We floated for hours rowing a bit, but mostly drifting the wrong way. We were never concerned for our safety (perhaps had it become darker we may have). We were having a great time til the harbor police ruined everything.
Point is I see kids hook buses while riding skateboards and admittedly I'm a bit jealous. But didn't you ever jump of a cliff into a lake or see how fast your car was?
I do agree tho that like most anything else they're pushing the envelope. A little crazier a little riskier. Perhaps it's a result of shows like Jackass and WWF. Many kids were injured imitating their stunts. I don't know but we seem to keep pushing.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

Just go on Break.com and alot of the kids film themselves and then post it their. Their is even one guy driving down the road a 70mph.

http://www.break.com/index/car_surfing_at_70_mph.html

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

Just go on Break.com and alot of the kids film themselves and then post it their. Their is even one guy driving down the road a 70mph.

http://www.break.com/index/car_surfing_at_70_mph.html

That Guy must have plenty of money for footwear,as his shoes would only have a lifespan of minutes.
What Teenagers do for their moment of glory.

PM.Like your Sig.The first quote,so very true. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 10 February 2007 - 11:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users