Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home - Application Crashes For Only Some Users

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rleduc

rleduc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:53 AM

I am new to Windows XP. I have a strange problem with different behavior from an application for different users. Details:

Windows XP Home edition with Media Center Edition SP2 (2002)
Dell Inspiron 9400 E1705, Intel Core 2 Duo 5200

I have several users; one administrator, four limited access users I created at startup, and two new users.

The problem is that an application, EasyChild (a child management tool :thumbsup: ) runs fine for the admin and 3 of the older user accounts. For one user account, it wouldn't run and gave an error message (below). So I thought I'd just create a new limited user for myself and get rid of the nonfunctioning one. Well, the program doesn't run for the new user either.

The program is installed in it's default directory in c:\programfiles\bms

I've tried repairing the program as well as uninstalling and reinstalling. No luck.

Likewise, there is a game, Port Royale, that will work for the older users but not the new user (gets hung up after the introduction and right before starting play). This was a program I installed from the administrator to C:\programs, but it didn't work for the limited access users; so I dragged it to the shared documents folder [I'm using simple sharing here] and it works for the same 3 users and not for the 4th old user or new users.

Other programs, such as Windows Media Player 11, will run in all users when launched from the common desktop icon.

I've since deleted the 4th old user, perhaps unfortunately.

I don't know if this is malware or something I'm doing wrong with the install or some sort of difference among the user accounts. I don't think I've changed anything about how an account should be created; I didn't expect the new account to behave any worse than the 3 functioning older accounts.

Here are the messages from trying to run EasyChild in one of the newer accounts. I first get a window saying:

--------------------------------
EasyChild.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled
Process id=0x1774 (6004), Thread id = 0x1768 (5992)

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.
---------------------------------------
on clicking cancel, I get a window saying:
---------------------------------------
EasyChild.exe - No debugger found
Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch JIT
debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2
(2). Please check computer settings.

cordbg.exe !a 0x1774

Click on Retry to have the process wait while attaching a debugger manually.
Click Cancel to abort the JIT debug request.

-------------
Then I cancel.
-------------

Can't run Port Royale from the directory
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Port Royale\
(but the 3 older users and admin can).

Ideas?

Any pointers appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rleduc

rleduc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:59 AM

Drat. I must have missed the XP link on the forums page.

Could some kind host work the transferral magic for me, please?

Sorry to all NT users.

#3 AlterGeek

AlterGeek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

I have no experience with the particular software mentioned. If it is older software, say written for a version of Windows XP, there are many factors that can contribute to problems.

I have wrestled with a variety of such software under WinXP Home. Fairly often there is an access/permission problem with one or more files. 1st step is to determine which file(s) are preventing the application from running. If you are a subscriber to ZDNet Utilities, there is a TaskPower utility that may suffice. There may be freeware equivalents, but none come to mind.

2nd step is to adjust permissions on the files identified in step 1. To do that one must be logged in as an Administrator. You must then venture into a command shell (such as via Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt). Then navigate (cd command) to each directory containing the files and use the CACLS command. Be careful with CACLS, because using the wrong option can pretty much wreck access to a file. The /e and /g options shown next are safe, as shown.

Suppose a problem file is named Dinosaur.tbk (The Land Before Time). The following may suffice:
CACLS Dinosaur.tbk /e /g builtin\users:C
C(hange) permission will often allow the application to successfully work with a file. In some cases, it may be necessary to allow F(ull) permission to a file.

Good luck. Hopefully the preceding will be enough for you to go on, as I am an infrequent visitor here.

BTW, I had to post this twice, because using the Spell Checker button, on 1st Post attempt, caused IE 7 to lockup, and I had to logoff/logon to restore order (the MS February patch barrage left some peculiar problems behind).

#4 AlterGeek

AlterGeek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

I meant to say ... written for a version of Windows BEFORE XP ...

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:46 PM

Right click on the file that you use to launch it and select "Run as..." then provide the necessary credentials to elevate the program to Admin privileges.

Does it run without error then? If you change one of user accounts (that the program doesn't work in) to an Administrator account - does it work then?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rleduc

rleduc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hi

Thanks for the replies. The software runs under the following conditions:

1) from the Admin account
2) from the limited account of the user who first ran it (even without running as Admin)
3) if I allow it to run as Admin from other limited account users

I guess it must be checking the registry for some registration key or something and
for some unknowable reason requires Admin privileges to do this.

I suppose the fix is to run it as Admin or from the one limited acct user where it works.
Must admit this seems a bit of a kludge!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users