Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heat Issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bilboy32

bilboy32

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:48 AM

Ok, so here's the deal. I have a Cyberpower laptop that works fine for me. However, I think it has a bit of an issue with temperature. I've never overheated to the point of crashing, but I think that a consistent 75oC CPU and 45oC HDD is a bit excessive. I've used canned air on the fans and heatsinks, to no real avail...maybe a degree or two. Any suggestions?
BTW, I used EVEREST Ultimate for my temp readings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:50 AM

I don't find everest to be very accurate.. Try using speedfan, it gives very accurate readings of your sensors, along with the ability to control the speed of your fan(s)

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

P.S. You might look into a cooling pad, I forget what they're called specifically, but you can find them at wal-mart.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

Have you verified that all of the fans are working?

Do you use the laptop on a hard surface? If not, do the temps improve significantly when you do use a hard surface? In my house, if I use my laptop on the bed - the cat hair gets sucked into the cooler first, then the comforter will stop the ports up and cause it to overheat.

Maybe having someone open the case for a cleaning? I'd suggest having a pro do this for you.

Edited by usasma, 08 February 2007 - 09:10 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bilboy32

bilboy32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

No, I exclusively use it on hard surfaces... hardwood or metal. I'm also in a very clean environment, AKA no pets or anything like that. The case opening is the only thing I could think of.

#5 bilboy32

bilboy32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:37 AM

I tried using speedfan and it gave me the same numbers as everest. however, I couldn't use the clock function, because my motherboard is a mystery. I tried cpu-z and it knows everything other than the actualy brand of motherboard. suggestions?

Edited by bilboy32, 08 February 2007 - 11:37 AM.

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

Lemme research this a bit, I'm stumped. Usama?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

These programs rely on the use of standardized sensors - and in the case of laptops they generally don't conform to the standards very well. In other words, most tests of this kind won't run real well on laptops. The writer of SpeedFan has a page where you can give him info on your system so he can update his coding - but I've never used it, so I don't know how well it works.

The CPU heat is a concern and shouldn't be left alone. I'd still suggest getting someone to crack the case open to clean it. While they're in there they can check the cooling stuff (heat pipe and heat transfer stuff on the CPU) to see if it's adequate for the job.

I've seen a couple of laptops at work that have burn marks in the case from the components heating up too much - that's scary!

Edited by usasma, 08 February 2007 - 11:01 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 bilboy32

bilboy32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

Thanks alot guys! I'll get to that. Hopwfully too much damage hasn't been done

#9 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

No damage should've been done yet. But yes, get it checked. And also, look into a cooling pad, they keep the bottom of your laptop cool.

#10 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Download and install MobileMeter 0.3.1.0 to monitor the temps on a laptop. Here is the English version of the MobileMeter Read Me file.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#11 bilboy32

bilboy32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:51 AM

Well, I used that meter, only to find out what I already knew... which was that I had a hot comp. So I took it upon myself to open 'er up and blow the hell out of it. About 45 tons of dust fell to the floor. My HDD now runs about 5-6 degrees Celsius cooler.

However, the CPU still runs at a consistent 75 degrees. It never goes up or down. Seems to be acceptable to me, if its stable. Although it is worrying to be 10 degrees from auto shutdown...

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

Great program Terrorist! Thanks!

Not being very familiar with laptop temps - I'd still suspect the 75 C is a bit too high. This will also depend on the exact CPU that is used in your system.

#13 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

Try the cooling pad idea (thanks Uraiser, I gotta get one but where?) or get some one to quote you on the installation of another coolant mechanism.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

You can get cooling pads at most major department stores. WalMart has them, as does BestBuy and Target (in my area).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users