Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

I am looking to incorporate a blog within my website that allows both public entries as well as password protected ones. I am currently using greymatter, which as far as I know does not allow this. Does anybody know if this can be done? And if not does anyone know of a similar alternative to greymatter that can do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

anybody?

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:49 PM

Hi chlazzaro177,

I'm not too sure just what you mean by 'public entries' so does that mean that you want to let anonymous people just drop in and post comments to your blog?

If that's your intent you might want to reconsider doing that. I've ran across several websites that had comment sections that had been for public use disabled because of the high volume of spam that they had received.

I think password protected would be the best way to go.

That's my .02

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

Well I wanted to make it so some blogs are public and some blogs you have to type in the password to view it.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

Hi chlazzaro177,

Check out http://www.mindsay.com and see if their setup is what you're looking for. I know if you have an account there you can set your blog to be viewable by anyone, however, to leave a comment to any post on that site you have to have an account.

OK, after you start an account on that blog you can sign people up as friends to the blog that you have. then you put them into different categories. With me so far?

Then when ever you put up a post all you have to do is make that post viewable to everyone if you want everyone to see it, or just to one class of friends if you want to limit who gets to see it. The friends that you want to see the private posts will still have to sign in to view your 'private' posts and comment on a post though.

Hope I said all of that so that it makes sense. Anyway check em out and see if there might be anything you can use.

Good luck,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

Thank you Wendy!

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

Hi chlazzaro177,

You're welcome, so did I help you any?

#8 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

I am at work right now so I haven't got the chance to do anything yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users