Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 americandream_02

americandream_02

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hello all. I am looking to upgrade my video card for gaming purposes. The game I am playing is World of Warcraft:The Burning Crusade. I was looking at the Geforce 7800gs 256mb agp or the ATI x1950pro 256mb agp card. Currently I am unsure as to whether my current setup will allow me to even run the ATI card but was looking for some more expert advice. My current specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz 754 Socket
1 gig ram
450 Watt Power Supply
Windows XP Home

My current video card is an ATI Radeon 9800pro All-in-Wonder card. I am sick of seeing my FPS in the teens and lower 20s. As you can see, my motherboard only supports an AGP card. :thumbsup: I wish I could just put together a new machine but being a college student, money is hard to come by. The 2 cards I mentioned above are both around $200 on newegg.com. Any Advice is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

I did a benchmark for those two cards here: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.htm...3&chart=196
Even though the 7800 its useing is 512mb the 1950 pro is better in most of the benchmarks. I'm not sure though if this is an accurate outcome though because it says AGP for the 7800 and the 1950pro might be PCI express.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 americandream_02

americandream_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

Here are the two links to the cards I am tryin to decide on:
7800GS

and

x1950pro

I have read on the ATI card that my power supply may not support this card but I was not sure. I also wasn't sure if my processor would bottleneck either of these cards or would it be fine? My power supply model is LC-B450E. I am almost leaning toward the 7800GS just because I am a bit scared if I go with the ATI that something could get fried.

#4 karno7

karno7

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

Your current card is not that bad a model. You could avoid forking out that cash if you just lowered the graphics settings if they aren't already. That slow CPU of yours could also be bottlenecking your cards full potential, in which case it will definitely limit one of those high-end cards you're looking at.

#5 americandream_02

americandream_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

I do have most of the settings on low atm. I have tried to find to find a processor that is a 754 socket 3700+ and the few I have been able to find cost around $240 or so.

#6 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:35 AM

If money is hard to come by, maybe look for a bit lower card like the 7600gs/gt. Check benchmarks and see how it handles the games you want to play. A slightly lower card should also reduce bottlenecking from other parts and this card. I just have a 6800 with a sempron 2800 and it can still play games like oblivion on almost high settings. (Never played WoW but I'm sure I could play it nicely.)

I have also not seen many 3700+ processers. They are pretty rare. The 3200/3400s are easier to find and much more resonably priced and not TOO much of a performance difference.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:47 AM

Just by looking at the specs, I'd say that the ATI card would be a touch faster, due to higher clock speeds. However, the 7800gs has 4 more pipelines that might make up for the slightly slower clock speeds.

According to the link that Sterling14 provided (gotta love TomsHardware!), the ATI card is slightly faster (both cards were AGP too), but only a touch under 8 FPS. Basically, it's now do you want Nvidia or ATI. I think that you'd be happy with either card. :thumbsup:

While a smaller card might save you some cash, I think that the difference in FPS would make it worth while to purchase one of the cards that you listed. :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users