Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joan W.

Joan W.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 07:33 AM

My grandson installed a new CD burner for me yesterday. During this process he brought up Windows Task Manger by using Cntrl+Alt+Delete. This was new to me. Anyway there are lots of *****.exe files on there - they're all .exe files. Mike said I probably don't need all of them.

So I have been putting the individual file names in the google bar to see what they are about. I have got about 1/2 way through and so far I need most of them.

Because this is new to me I would welcome any thoughts on this.

Thanks, Joan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:13 AM

Ok I say only keep the ones you need. This will not make them stop. Where are you removing them from? Services or startup? As of startup just get as few as you need. Your pc will start up faster this way.

And you will then just have to manually open them if there not set to run on startup.

Welcome to BC!

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:36 AM

Hi Joan, :flowers: to BC. :thumbsup:
To save you all the time of searching out each individual process, just go to this site and look them up in the task list. http://www.answersthatwork.com/ It will explain what the process is and what (if anything) to do about them.

If you have any questions about them, be sure to post back.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:39 PM

Do not remove anything that you are not absolutely sure about.

If you are concerned with what is running on your computer, please post a HijackThis log.
If nothing else, this will make sure that your computer is clean of any malicious programs that might cause you problems.

After you are clean, then you can check out the remaining programs at the site Ronbo recommended.

Another good site is Blackviper.com.

To post a HJT log follow these steps:

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

I'm also moving this post to the appropriate forum.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:11 PM

Hi Joan.,

Let me explain a bit about what the Task Manager is all about and why you need to be careful with it. First, you can't remove any executables (.exe's) with the Task Manager, you can just stop them from running.

The Task Manager's main function is to show you what is running on your computer and to allow you to stop it from running. What is running is called a process. If you have a program that locks up or freezes, it is better to press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete combination and stop the process in Task Manager than turning the power off to the computer. This is safe and easy to do under the Applications tab of Task Manager. Those are processes that you have started yourself and you should have a button on the Task Bar that corresponds to each application.

Under the processes tab are all running processes. There are three kinds of proceses differentiated by how they get started.

:inlove: Applications: Just covered, these are programs that you start yourself.

:thumbsup: Startups: These are programs and processes that start when Windows starts--when you turn on your computer or log in to your user account. Most of these will appear as icons in your System Tray--there by your clock on the Task Bar--but not all. To see most of the applications that are set for Startup, use the Miscrosoft System Configuration Utility. Go to START>Run and type in msconfig. You can manage what starts from this utility's Startups tab, but even it will not account for all Startups. If you want to look into a more technical explanation and why startups are a concern from a security standpoint, see BC's tutorial Windows Program Automatic Startup Locations.

Mike probably meant that you have too many startups. For a more comprehensive explaination and how to's on managing startups, see this page by Paul Collins.

:trumpet: Services These are processes that Windows keeps running in case you need them, such as a printer spooler so your printer will work. Msoft allows a bunch of services to run tho that you'll never need and some are security risks. They are a bit more complicated to manage and understand, but that is what the Black Viper site that tg911 linked you to is all about. Some of the sevices' executables will appear in Task Manager and others are combined into svchost.exe and other processes.

Hope that helps, and by all means submit a HJT log if you suspect you have malware of some type. We will be happy to take a look at it and help you get rid of obviously bad processes in the right way. And there could well be something bad in there that you don't even know about. Those that you don't need or want you should really decide for yourself and Google is actually a good way to get information on that.

Always feel free to ask questions here too. :flowers:

If you want you can check out Startup Inspectors for Windows--it will look up information on common startups for you. But read Paul Collins' article first.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:02 AM

Wow my post now looks not so good!

Yes dont remove any unless sure what they do! I did once and well it want to nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users