Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Clients

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

Just looking to see if there are other email clients that people recommend besides Outlook. I have been using Outlook, not Outlook Express, for about a year now and just wanting to try something different. There's really nothing that I don't like about Outlook, except maybe for the fact that you can't look at the raw message.

I'm specifically interested Eudora and Thunderbird. How does each compare with Outlook? Is security an issue for any of these clients? Basically just looking for pros and cons of each and whatever else anybody has to say about them.

Also what exactly is this SeaMonkey thing that I keep hearing about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

I've been using Thunderbird for the last year and will not be going back to OE. I also use Firefox, the chief advantage for both of these is the they are stand alone, and being able to separate from the OS adds that much more of a buffer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:49 AM

SeaMonkey is a "Web-browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple.....all your Internet needs in one application."
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:33 AM

Thunderbird & Eudora are both more secure because they are not as commonly used as Outlook/Outlook Express. Malware writers like to have the biggest audience when it comes to targeting computers with viruses & worms so the majority of viruses are written with Outlook/OE in mind, thus resulting in higher numbers with the amount of computers that can be compromised. Outlook & OE are also both so closely linked to Windows, & even IE, that viruses can easily cause further damage to other areas of a computer. Add to the fact that the address books in both are targeted, so that once a computer becomes compromised, large amounts of infected emails can be sent out using addresses/contacts from that computer. After awhile, all of this becomes a nuisance & people eventually make the switch to something else. By default, Thunderbird & Eudora both do not allow scripts to be run, which in turn makes them less prone to viruses/worms & reduces the chance of them being spread.

Both Thunderbird & Eudora have better filters, spell checkers, junk mail controls, Spam/scam filters, & the programs themselves are more stable, safer, & more secure to use. Plus they are both highly customizable programs, allowing the user to setup the email clients for a very personalized email experience. See the links below for a more detailed explanation of the features available for each of these programs.

Why You Should Use Thunderbird

Eudora Features-Windows

Eudora Features-MAC

FYI: Eudora is going open source. They are producing a new version of Eudora (called Penelope) that will be based on Thunderbird & will be given away for free. It is due out sometime later this year. Details can be found on the Eudora home page. It will be up to you whether or not you want to actually buy Eudora. I have used Thunderbird, Eudora, & have beta–tested Penelope, & I am looking forward to the release of Penelope since it will combine the features of both Thunderbird & Eudora.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 08 February 2007 - 03:35 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:10 AM

RE: SeaMonkey.

Prior to splitting off Firefox and Thunderbird as two stand-alone applications, Mozilla provided the two together with the other functions in SeaMonkey. To concentrate their efforts on the two separate applications, they abandoned development on the Mozilla suite, much to the consternation of many users.
Some of the Mozilla folks, therefore, took up the development of Mozilla as an "unofficial" effort and named it SeaMonkey. I have not followed its course, so I cannot say whether security patches are issued as quickly as for the stand-alones, whether extensions are always compatible, or the extent of its development.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

So as far as ease of use, does anyone have any recommendation between Eudora and Thunderbird? Theres really no specific feature that I am looking just as long as its fairly simple to use. And to clarify fairly simple, I find Outlook to be fairly simple. It would be great to have a contact list that work better than Outlook.

One thing that I do like about Outlook is that I can sync it with iTunes so that all my contacts are also on my iPod. Is it possible to do this with either Eudora or Thunderbird? Or maybe this has more to do with iTunes itself?

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

One thing that I do like about Outlook is that I can sync it with iTunes so that all my contacts are also on my iPod. Is it possible to do this with either Eudora or Thunderbird?

You can do this with Thunderbird.
Have a look at this MozillaZine KB Article; Import Calendars and Contacts into iPod.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

You can do this with Thunderbird.
Have a look at this MozillaZine KB Article; Import Calendars and Contacts into iPod.

That does look interesting. But one thing im not sure of is you need to do that to each and every person on your contacts. If not great, but it also seems as though you would have to manually do this each time you add a new person/contact. Although not that big a problem, I do prefer the auto sync feature with Outlook. This however looks promising: mozpod. Too bad its still in beta though.

But given all that, I will probably give Thunderbird a try sometime this week.

Edited by splackavellie, 08 February 2007 - 03:31 PM.

#9 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:02 AM

I've been using Outlook since my computing started and I never wanted to switch on another email client. However my friends highly recommend me to take a look at Eudora and maybe some day I'll follow their advice:)

#10 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

While trying out Thunderbird, I was thinking of also running Outlook at the same time. Is this going to be a problem? I figured this way I can really compare the two.

I've been using Outlook since my computing started and I never wanted to switch on another email client. However my friends highly recommend me to take a look at Eudora and maybe some day I'll follow their advice:)

Well I have no real reason why I want to switch either. Just want to try something new.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

Just as with using several browsers, having several E-mail clients on your hard drive should present no problem or conflict. With E-mail clients, though, you have to be careful that you do not open both at the same time if they automatically poll the server and download E-mails automatically, as this will cause problems.
Set both to open "working off-line" and use only one "live" at the same time.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

Thanks. Just was not sure if they were like Anti-virus and firewall where you should only have one. And i'll definitely wont use them at the same time. I'll probably stick with Outlook till im comfortable with Thunderbird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users