Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd 2nd Hd Problem...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

Strange little hiccup here. I'm in the midst of formatting my 2nd hard drive but it's listing itself as a 152 Gb capacity hard drive while I KNOW it's 250 Gb. There wasn't an "erase" function in the computer manager as there used to be. So I just deleted the partition that's the hard drive contained. Now I'm formatting it. NTFS, of course.

I was thinking of using Killdisk to completely wipe my 2nd hard drive, but unsure if I'll be able to select the correct drive in the program.

Any suggestions?
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

What OS and Service pack are you using?

What you seem to be having is an OS issue, but it may be a bios issue, how old is the computer?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

XP service pack 2, everything's updated. Computer's brand new, just built it a couple of weeks ago. I have a SATA hard drive as my primary hard drive and an older IDE hard drive that's secondary. The old HD had stuff on it and I already transferred what I needed over to the primary. Tried to delete everything on it, but was unable to as some files were apparently inaccessible and just gave up on it and deleted the partition and formatted it.

I'm guessing some data is still on the old HD but I can't access it now that I've formatted it. Reading it as 150 Gb and not the 250 Gb that it really is.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

Have you used the disk management snap in?

Start > run > type compmgmt.msc /s {enter}

double click the disk management entry in the left hand tree and see if the whole hard drive is recognized.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

Try the setup and diagnostic tools from the hard drive manufacturer's website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

Oldf@rt,

That's where I deleted and formatted the partition. It's only reading as 150 (well, 152 to be precise) Gb and should be 250 Gb.

I'm thinking of using Killdisk over the weekend and see if I can't specify that particular hard drive to erase and not accidentally my primary one.

#7 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:46 AM

Well, I went into Killdisk and to my surprise, even THAT is reading it at only 150 Gb.

Now I'm afraid that there's no way to erase/reformat it back to 250 Gb as it was supposed to be. Is that possible?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:48 AM

I'd take usasma's advice and try to download a diagnostic tool from the hard drive manufacturer's website.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

Definately use the manfacturers diagnostics program, everything else seems to be ok. I have seen this once before on a new westerndigital drive, turned out that one of the drive heads would not read or write.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

Each drive manufacturer builds different stuff into it's hard drives. So using the utility designed by the folks who designed the drive is the most likely avenue to achieve success.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users