Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Shut Down.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Myke

Myke

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

Hey guys, I have had my HJT log checked out and cleaned my computer from any malware/virus/spyware and adware threats, with the following different softwares:

Panda Activescan/antivirus
Avast! Antivirus
Spysweeper
Spybot
Ad-Aware
Registry Mechanic
Spyware Doctor
AVG Anti-Spyware

But my computer is still unable to shut down, hybernate or restart.

When I select any of the options, it simply hangs on ("Windows is Shutting Down, Windows is Hybernating")

Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this, I have tried using sfc /scannow too.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

Sometimes programs get TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident), and they have problems shutting down when you try to close out Windows.

The best solution I found around it is to open up your Task Manager, and then lok for processes that are running... then close them out 1st, then try the shutdown procedure again. The whole process normally takes about 10 - 20 seconds at the most, and Windows shut down.

I've done a more detailed post about it about a few months back, but it works, and I use the method when ever it happens to me too. I believe it's in the Tips/Tricks section. Search for Windows won't shut down in the forum here.

But it's not actually a virus or other problem with the computer or such... it just happens.

#3 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for your reply Walkman,

But I had no luck using it, I couldn't access the Task Manager while it was hanging on the "Windows is Shutting Down", although I could use the mouse.

So I tried exiting all applications and processes (including explorer.exe) using the Task Manager, and then shutting down (using the shut down option in Task Manager).

But still no luck, but I have noticed it shuts down fine while running in safe mode, could there be a corrupted windows file? Or a hardware issue?

#4 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

Here's a link to an earlier thread where members of this forum were very helpful in diagnosing my shutdown problem. Try these solutions to see if they work for you.

Providing the link would be a help to you ;^)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79279/winxp-slooooow-shutdown-manual-off-needed/
drymobius

#5 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

Still no luck I'm afraid, although using the msconfig steps my computer starts up much faster.

#6 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

OK Myke, appears you've done a thorough sweep for viruses and spyware. Are all those programs still on your computer? Try removing some and just keeping a few. I've read elsewhere that having more than one av program on a computer running at the same time could be hazardous to the cpu's health.

... by "all those programs" I mean the av, antispyware programs, not the viruses or spyware.
drymobius

#7 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

Already tried it mate, I've left Ad-aware and Panda on here, for future protection, but the rest were removed after I ensured I had no problems with malware.

#8 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

Did you also perform Black Viper's check on program services Start, Stop, Auto, and Manual settings? That helped me.
drymobius

#9 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

Yeah I removed all of the ones I didn't use using msconfig, and also downloaded Starter by Codestuff to help me go through what was there.

Plus, if this was a problem, wouldn't Windows only be unable to shutdown when Windows has been entered? Where as mine still hangs when I shut down from the logon screen, without going into windows yet.

Edited by Myke, 07 February 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#10 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

Try installing this User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#11 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

You can download Process Explorer, and it's better than the normal Task Manager. You can find it here:

Process Explorer for Windows v10.21
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Run it and it'll show you what's running at that very moment on your computer. You need to document what programs are showing high cpu usage.

After documenting that, you need to kill, each process you see running high usages, then try to shut down. Try it after you kill a few processes, and then another few.

#12 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

Try installing this User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

This has returned to me the long lost ability to restart my machine, thank you.

But sadly it will still not shut down.

#13 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

You can download Process Explorer, and it's better than the normal Task Manager. You can find it here:

Process Explorer for Windows v10.21
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Run it and it'll show you what's running at that very moment on your computer. You need to document what programs are showing high cpu usage.

After documenting that, you need to kill, each process you see running high usages, then try to shut down. Try it after you kill a few processes, and then another few.

The only one that seems to be using up high cpu amounts is 'System Idle Process'.

#14 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:06 PM

I recently installed this, is there any possibility it could be causing problems?

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...mcmdrestore.vbs

(I a virus that disabled the use of my task manager, this enabled it.)

#15 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:16 PM

I recently installed this, is there any possibility it could be causing problems?

It's very possible.

If you have means to install it later on, uninstall it now, and then reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users