Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Fast: Office 2007

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

i just bought a new laptop. i have no office products currently installed. can i buy office 2007 home and student, then buy the powerpoint upgrade? or do i need a pre-existing powerpoint (2003) in order to use the upgrade? i would like powerpoint without having to spend $400 on office standard.

thanks
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

have you checked into OpenOffice.org is open source software that is just as good as M$ Office. It has most of the programs that office has (Presentation programs,Spreedsheets,Word Processors) and allows you to save in almost any file type (ie ever noticed how files save with 2004 dont open in 1997 with this you can save to the older file types)

OpenOffice.org

Edited by BlackSpyder, 07 February 2007 - 06:17 PM.

Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

BlackSpyder's suggestion is something you should consider. It is a fully-featured office suite that is compatible with MS file types, and includes a presentation and database module as a bonus. As a product of open source, it is free for the downloading and is updated during the year.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

:thumbsup: thank you both for your input. i think i am going to take your suggestions. i am sure MS has heard of this, do you know of any conflicts with their programming? perhaps intentionally placed by MS to deter people from using OpenOffice?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:06 AM

The only major problems that I am aware of is that SOME macros (generally the complex ones) do not translate perfectly and need some changes in the new file, and embedded pictures may need some minor work.
I do a lot of word processing and large spreadsheets (no macros), and seldom have any formatting problems when I switch from one to the other.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 08 February 2007 - 09:06 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have never had a problem with openoffice.org products. The learning curve from Office to openoffice isn't that bad either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users