Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know Of A Good (free) Anti Spy Program.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 c.p.u

c.p.u

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

howdy.

i'm looking for a good & free anti spy program.with real time scanning.
can anybody recommend one ?.
iv'e tried spyware guard.(but thats not been updated for years)
iv'e also tried spyware terminator.(but i was having problems with the real time function)

thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,776 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

Lots of good freebies listed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 c.p.u

c.p.u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

the only one i see on the list with realtime scanning is spyware guard.
but as i say its not been updated for years.

thanks anyway pal. :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,776 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Windows Defender 32-bit version
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:51 PM

Taken from Wilders Security Forums (Javacool Software Forums)

LowWaterMark
Administrator

quoting: Stereo_Type link=board=34;threadid=13138;start=15#msg112632 date=1072107513]My question is, how come other spyware detection tools, like Spywareblaster and many more, update frequently, but SpywareGuard hardly ever updates?

Hi Stereo_Type,

The reason for less frequent updates with SpywareGuard is that it doesn't need to update as frequently. Much of its detection abilities are heuristics in nature. They work for many of the newer versions of spyware installers even without adding "signatures" for them. An update is made when there are new items coming out that are not detected that way.

SpywareBlaster's protections are all specific - target for target with no heuristics. It must be updated to stay on top of any new spyware items.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 RMiller31

RMiller31

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

Download Spyware Terminator its free anti-spyware program that includes Real-Time Protection, HIPS and antivirus. It removes spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, home page hijackers and other malware threats. Scans your computer's hard drives, memory, process, registry and cookies to remove all known spyware th
This is a great program when people don't want to go out a spend money on a program, it one of the only anti-spyware, anti-virus protector out there that offers no limitations to the product with real time protection that is free, which protects your computer from new spyware or viruses attacking your computer.

#7 c.p.u

c.p.u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:11 PM

as i said in my original post i have tried spyware terminator.
it ran great for a few weeks then i started getting a popup telling me it had failed to load a driver.
and that real time scanning was disabled.
thanks anyway for the suggestion.

:thumbsup:

#8 pipester

pipester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hello c.p.u.,

I would recommend you try the free version of SuperAntispyware. I have had great success using this program to clean up computers. It worked as advertised for me, product support is above average and they have a helpful forum, if needed.

Marc
A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

#9 c.p.u

c.p.u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:52 PM

thanks pal. :thumbsup:

but realtime scanning isn't available in the free version.

#10 pipester

pipester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:00 PM

thanks pal. :thumbsup:

but realtime scanning isn't available in the free version.

Then I would purchase the Pro version if I wanted real time protection. I think it's that good. Download the Pro version trial and see what you think. It's fully functional, will detect and clean what it finds and will give you a chance to see how the program runs on your system.
A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

pipester:

In reading the initial post, c.p.u. specifically requested free anti-spyware real-time protection. Consequently, suggestions should fulfill that request.

c.pu.

In my reseaches I have found only two free anti-spyware programs with real-time protection: Spyware Terminator and Windows Defender. If you can get Windows Defender to work on your system, give it a try. Unfortunately, my system doesn't like it.

I have another suggestion as well: SpywareBlaster While this software does not have real-time scanning it does prevent a lot of junk from getting on the computer in the first place. Spywareblaster - prevents spyware from being installed on your PC. - Tutorial: Using SpywareBlaster

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 pipester

pipester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

pipester:

In reading the initial post, c.p.u. specifically requested free anti-spyware real-time protection. Consequently, suggestions should fulfill that request.

My apologies. I would use Windows Defender for a free antispware application with real time monitoring.

#13 c.p.u

c.p.u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:27 AM

@orange blossom.i have tried windows defender in the past.but found it to be not that effective.
also i have spyware blaster installed.thanks everybody for all your suggestions. :thumbsup:

Edited by c.p.u, 11 February 2007 - 07:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users