Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parental Controls On Non-vista Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rhiec

Rhiec

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:54 PM

If I have a computer running Vista, can I use it to control the internet access of a 2nd computer running XP?

I'm looking to get a new computer running Vista. My old computer (running XP) will be used by my kids and hooked up to the internet through a wireless router. Is it possible to limit access on that computer to specific websites?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:32 PM

Unfortunately, Vista Parental Controls only work for that particular machine. If you want to limit sites or content for other non-vista computers you can purchase a router that has content filtering built into it.

For example the netgear WPNT834 has content filtering built into it that would affect all computers going through it.

* "Trusted user" controls
* Time-based usage controls
* Web site logging
* Remote management
* URL content filtering

I do not know how much it costs, but other models may have this built in as well.

#3 Rhiec

Rhiec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

Unfortunately, Vista Parental Controls only work for that particular machine. If you want to limit sites or content for other non-vista computers you can purchase a router that has content filtering built into it.

For example the netgear WPNT834 has content filtering built into it that would affect all computers going through it.

* "Trusted user" controls
* Time-based usage controls
* Web site logging
* Remote management
* URL content filtering

I do not know how much it costs, but other models may have this built in as well.

Hmm...I was not aware that some routers have that ability. I have a Netgear wireless router but I'm not sure which model. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

Thank you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

The Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit can do some of this. It's free from here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&...duVeOkxBdnM_jkA

Strange thing - google's inserting it's own stuff into the links. Here's a direct link to the page: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by usasma, 08 February 2007 - 07:44 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users