Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking Access To Certain Software On My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 roavatodd

roavatodd

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

Forgive me if this is listed in another posting, but a search didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm the administrator of a laptop that is used by one or two other people at work occassionaly. I have some software loaded that I do not want other users to see or access when they log on. How do I achieve that?

thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

assuming you are formatted NTFS.

right click on the folder in question
choose properties
click advanced button
encrypt

that should do it.
but do not forget your password

#3 roavatodd

roavatodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

Yes, but the program name still shows up in the list of programs for other users. I don't want them to even see the program.

Also, when I clicked on encrypt, I didn't have the option of assigning a password. I'm running XP Pro.

Thoughts?

#4 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

when you encrypt it only allows the user who encrypts it to view the files.

something like this
http://www.everstrike.com/

#5 roavatodd

roavatodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

Working on it right now. Looks like it's taking about two hours to encrypt the folder, subfolders and files. Wow....

#6 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

Working on it right now. Looks like it's taking about two hours to encrypt the folder, subfolders and files. Wow....

that sounds about right.
just make sure you don't lose the password for the account you used to encrypt.
Even if you reset the password through users and computers the information will be lost.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:52 AM

Generally this is because the program is listed in the All Users profile (there's actually 2 profiles on your desktop - yours and the All Users)

Move the program references to your profile from the All Users profile. Then make your profile private (don't forget to write down the key!)

This will hide it from casual prying.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users