Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Player Classic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

Has anyone gotten this error.
I have downloaded the MPC program from sourceforge or wherever, and when I try to open the DVD it says it cannot find it.
the disk is in the drive, it's running windows XP.
is there any other relevant information that you would need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

Is it just one dvd or all? If it's just one, the dvd might be scratched or something.

Are you using the media player classic in the XP Codec Pack? You can find it here.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm

I have used the one from SourceForge before. Then I ran across this one. It's great.

More info here:
http://www.xpcodecpack.com/

It says to install GSpot or Avi codec first, but I haven't done that and I have no problems at all.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

Are you sure it's the Media Player Classic? If you're sure it's that, then I would imagine you may need some codecs installed. The only place I rely on for audio/video codecs is:
FREE Codecs
http://www.free-codecs.com

Put your dvd in and try to use whatever else you have to view movies. As a matter of fact, download:
VideoLan:
http://www.videolan.org

If you still have problems playing movies using that, then you have an issue with your dvd player drivers or something else. But, if Media Player Classic doesn't play it, AND VideoLan doesn't play it either, the problem is definitely on your end, and more than likely, it's a software/driver issue.

#4 Jombee

Jombee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

thanks guys,
a little back history.
This is for a corporate laptop, and regulations are pretty strict about what can and cannot be installed on the system.
It is not for me, but for one of the users I support, officially company policy for playing dvd's is "we do not support it" but I was trying to help this guy out a bit.
He's running XP SP2, with all of the updates. I would imagine there are no codecs other than the MS one's that are installed by default.

mommabear, nope it's just the standalone MPC, I really would rather not have to install anything on this machine... paper trail and all that. I can give him admin rights to install it himself, but I think that would just lead to more problems.

walkman, you may be right. it's probably a driver issue.

but does anyone know if dell laptops should be able to play DVD's right out of the box??

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

If you think I may be right.... continue on thinking this too....

Your very actions may be monitored, and if I were you, I would discontinue the trying to do someone a favor..... That someone may be the very one trying to set you up.

Don't do things like that on computers you have no right to do it on... Have you ever heard of key loggers? If you haven't, it means that every-single key you press on that computer is recorded... key for key.

Don't jeopardize your job and career on doing this.... you may thank me/us later on down the line.

And... it's advised that no one else helps you with doing this. If they do, at least it won't me me, on this topic.... because I'm giving you all the help you need right now. Just read this post again,,, and let it soak in.

[Added info]

Just to answer your last question in the last post (no harm in doing that) every computer is ready to play movies.... right out of the box, especially with a dvd player already installed, and even with Windows Media Player.

Edited by Walkman, 07 February 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#6 Jombee

Jombee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:21 AM

once again, you're probably right walkman, but all of our jobs are being sent over to India in a few months.
But I'll keep that in mind, it's probably why the other guys told me to tell him to screw.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

In general, if it came with a DVD drive, then it'll be able to play DVD's (otherwise, why put them in?). Depends on the age of the Dell. I'd suggest a visit to the Dell site with the exact model number.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users