Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen After Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cautiouz

cautiouz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

Before I posted this, I did check your search area. I couldnt seem to find the solution :flowers:

anywayzz. After doing a virus scan and found that spysheriff, Tibs, desktop.htt and some other stuff was detected together with a bunch of A0098... in the system volume information folder. AVG deleted it but.. it was still there.

I followed the instructions for removing the spysheriff given and ran autorun and found wowexe, HNK and things which I did remove.

When I rebooted my PC everything went well.. except that after windows went through its scanning and usually after that happens, my desktop shows. Well, this time it didn't... only a pure black screen.

I tried to boot in safemode and I can see the safemode words in the 4-corners of the screen but the rest is black.

Is it possible to recover everything ya think? :thumbsup:

I have (had) Windows XP Home Edition

Oh and another questions. When I tried to do a system restore, it mentioned that my Security folder maybe corrupt, gone or overwritten.

FYI.. I did backup my registry. Is it possible to export the registry back using the command prompt or is it futile at this point? :trumpet:

Thank you for your time and stuff!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:03 AM

If you've got your XP disk boot of that and do a repair install. This will leave your data intact - but you'll have to go through all the Windows updates again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

Could be that your video card drivers were corrupted.

You could do the following :

try to do a repair with sfc/scannow and have your XP disc ready since it will need to copy those files from the disc. Here is an excellent tutorial on that subject.
THis will also repair your registry. For future reference please look at this guide

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:31 AM

While in Safe Mode, press Ctrl-Alt-Del. If the Task Manager comes up, click on the File menu item and then on New Task. Type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter - this should get your desktop back.

I'd think that Budapest's suggestion for the repair install was probably the easiest way to recover from this. The SFC.EXE method suggested by fozzie may also work.

What method did you use to backup your registry? If you used the Export function in regedit - it's pretty complex to do.

You can't copy the registry files back from within Windows (even the command prompt) since some of the hives will be locked because they're in use.

You can boot with an UBCD or a BartPE disk into a pre-install environment (don't load the registry if it gives you that option). Then you can copy the backed up keys to the registry that way. The success rate for this varies when I do it - I'd estimate about 50% success (but I've only done it a couple of times).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users