Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot After Disc Check

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bob S.

Bob S.

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

I have a Dell computer running Windows XP w/ SP2. I ran a disc clean up, compressed old files and scheduled a disc check. I restarted my computer, it ran through the disc check and a check sum error showed up. I restarted the computer and it automatically started the disc check again, so I let it run, same result. I started the computer one more time, this time I cancelled the disc check. A blue screen appeared with, as best I can remember, the following; STOP: c0000221 {bad image file}. AppHelp may be corrupted. And then something about header check sum not matching the computer.

Does anyone know what this means and how I can fix it? My computer will not boot up nor can I stop it from starting the dick check.

Thank you for your help!

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

can you boot into safe mode?
does last known good do anything?

#3 Bob S.

Bob S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

No to both. I tried booting every way on the f8 and f12 options. It just keeps going to ChkDisc.

#4 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

it probably won't do anything but what about fixboot from a command console?

#5 Bob S.

Bob S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:06 PM

It may be apparent, but I am novice when it comes to computers. I don't know how to do what you are describing. Do you think tying to do a repair with the XP install disc would help?

Thank you again for your time.

#6 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:11 PM

if you boot from the cd and choose the "recovery console" option (only available if the cd is the same service pack) you will be brought to a command line where you can type fixboot (all one word) and it is supposed to fix the boot files. usually doesn't work, but sometimes you'll get lucky.

I've never had a good time with repair installs. your mileage may vary, but whenever I tried that I would have dozens of corrupt programs installed that didn't work at all.

good to recover your data, but not a very good solution.

if you have another computer in the house you can take the hard drive out of this one and copy whatever you need to save to the other PC, then just do a clean install of XP.

you're not in a very good place here I'm afraid.

#7 Bob S.

Bob S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

Thank you Jombee. I would rather have an honost opinion than keep wasting my time. Do have any idea what may have caused this to happen? I would like to avoid this happening again.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

Link to the error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x221

It says that it could be:
driver problems,
system file problems,
disk corruption problems (such as a damaged pagefile),
faulty memory hardware.

Since you can't boot into Windows, the first 2 things to try would be:
1) Download a free diagnostic utility from the maker of your hard drive. Most sites have a bootable version available for download
2) Download this free memory tester and boot to it: http://www.memtest86.com/ Let it run for at least 2 or 3 passes (overnight is better) and see what you get. If you start getting errors it's OK to stop the test.

If you do get back into Windows (after the above tests) then there's other tests that can be run.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Bob S.

Bob S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thanks John. But I cannot get past the ChkDisc program. How would I access the internt to download the diagnostic utility?

#10 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

Thanks John. But I cannot get past the ChkDisc program. How would I access the internt to download the diagnostic utility?

if you are unable to access the internet, how are you posting questions?

#11 Bob S.

Bob S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

From work. My problem is with my home computer. I should have clarified.

#12 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

and probably no cd burner at work right?

#13 Bob S.

Bob S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

Correct. However, I do have access to a computer with a cd burner.

My appologies to John. I read my responce to him and it sounded very cold. That was certainly not my intention. I appreciate the help!

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

Actually, it was pretty nicely worded! :thumbsup: I would've suggested using another computer if I'd have thought of it at the time!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users