Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Recovery Discs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

hp say only one copy of these discs can be made but can i rip them myself or make a clone or anything else?

this is just in case anything happens to these discs!

cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:32 AM

I've made copies of the HP recovery discs back when I had an HP. I tried to copy the discs themselves after I created them using HP's software, and was able to with no problems. However, I never actually had to use them, so I can't say for sure if they'll work or not once you make a copy of a copy.

I labeled each CD (CD1, CD2 etc.) and placed them each in their own protective jewel case, then put them in a tupperware container and put them up where they wouldn't be touched or moved.

Now, should something happen you could always buy a copy of XP home (or pro or whatever) and install it on your HP computer. You'll have to reformat the drive and delete the partition that contains the pre-installed OS that came with the machine. I did this and had no problems that weren't easily overcome (I had an issue reformating the partition with the OS on it, so I used another program and booted from disc to delete it and reformat the entire drive).
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 poofcinq

poofcinq

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

hp say only one copy of these discs can be made but can i rip them myself or make a clone or anything else?

this is just in case anything happens to these discs!

cheers

During a period of repeated hard drive crashes with my old HP, I learned you can purchase a set of recovery discs from HP for your specific model. I had purchased them for about $20 (later got the money refunded when it was discovered it was the crappy hard drives they were putting in my Pavilion model).

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:22 AM

I've purchased several of the restore CD sets from HP. All cost around $20 (shipping included) and arrived within 4 or 5 days. Great service!

UNTIL...You try and get the restore disks for one that's no longer available. Then you're just SOL (Sh*t Outta Luck).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users