Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live One Care

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:41 AM

How often would you recommend to run the full scan option?. I seem to remember Usasma I think it was, mentioning, that using the full scan too often could damage the registry but couldn't find the article again via search. Wondered what the current thoughts were on this question,

Bluesjunior.

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 08 February 2007 - 06:27 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

That is depending on the rest of your safety precautions. If you are propperly set up once a week will suffice

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hi bluesjunior, I run the tune up every week or so after the full service scan. I run the full service every other month.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for that Boopme I will try it that way also. Thanks.
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hi boopme,
I need to ask a question about Windows Live One Care.

A few months ago I ran the program once.
There is a listing for Windows Safety Scanner in my Add/Remove programs and a Folder for it in my C drive.

But I can't access the program to get it to run!

Noticed the home page has changed since I last used used it.
Tried the "Scan Now" option, but appears you have to sign up for the 90 trial, so just canceled until I knew exactly what I was doing!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

Hi boopme,
I need to ask a question about Windows Live One Care.

A few months ago I ran the program once.
There is a listing for Windows Safety Scanner in my Add/Remove programs and a Folder for it in my C drive.

But I can't access the program to get it to run!

Noticed the home page has changed since I last used used it.
Tried the "Scan Now" option, but appears you have to sign up for the 90 trial, so just canceled until I knew exactly what I was doing!

This is something else as the online scan from Microsoft which is free. safety.live.com

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

TMacK. this is the link you want
click ONLY the box saying "Full Sevice Scan" near mid page,under the wrench icon. This is the free scan. the other is a security suite you subscribe too. Haven't used that.
I run the full scan only every other month or so, I use the clean up and tune up in between.
Windows Live OneCare

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

Also, please note that the On-line scanner will place a folder in your program files. This is not a program you can run yourself. You must go through the browser and it will access and update those files prior to scanning your computer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

Thanx boopme and OB,
That is the same link to Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner that I had tried.
When I clicked on the "Full Service Scan" I was a bit unsure about accepting the terms of the "agreement",as I don't remember doing this last time.

Just another one of those C.R.A.F.T. moments.......Can't Remember A F*** Thing!!!

This is something else as the online scan from Microsoft which is free. safety.live.com

Really??
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

If you type in safety.live.com you will be taken to the onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm I just did it so I know.

The site has links to both the paid version and the on-line scanner. The EULA, agreement, is the same for both, and you have to agree to it before the on-line scanner will work. Note that even though the EULA mentions payment, the on-line scanner - the center button - is free.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

You're welcome,my crafty friend....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users