Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Security

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thunderpuppy

thunderpuppy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:00 AM

I suppose it did not really hit me until I watched the roll out event of the consumers editions of Vista in New York on Jan. 30th. I had bought into just about everything with the beta and biz versions (out of necessity) of the sincere effort MS was making to improve security. The penny really didn't drop until they revealed I could use Vista Home to spy on my own kids and spouse. Gates and Sievert sure appeared to think it was quite amusing in their rather folksy presentation.
So it got me to thinking. Yes, dogs think too, Should I be concerned about security protection being treated in the same light hearted manner as the "trust" I have had to earn between my kids and wife. Yes, dogs have sole mates and puppies, too. So in support my retriever tradition, I decided to do a little more digging. Not only did I find the foundation has some serious cracks but there are holes that makes it much easier for MS to spy on me. I will elaborate, should the tone of this conversation be of interest to the rest of the pack.
I do not know how many times I have read an MS Security Plan full of promises and short on delivery. But this time it seems to be different. I really feel it is all about "control" & not ours. I think Users should have the right to run free without a leach or tags (Not the XML type). With spying built-in while condemming spyware Vista seems to be at cross purposes. Maybe I just do not have the same sense of humour, Bill and company do. Oh that's right, it is only fair if I spy since it is my computer or is it really anymore? Grrrrrr.

Yours in the pound.

thunderpuppy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:15 AM

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither"

Benjamin Franklin
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 the_thunderdog

the_thunderdog

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:27 PM

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither"

Benjamin Franklin

Yes, I prefer Ghadi-" No one is free until we all are."

#4 the_thunderdog

the_thunderdog

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

Ok. Here is an example. I ran a sniffer (like that term) on Internet Explorer 7 install. It was great exercise for my registry- over 3500 items. Don't mind MS checking out my licence but what else did they checkout like their competitor's software & what did they leave behind for later probes? Not freindly- very intrusive. I think a many vendors have forgotten who is actually paying for access, software, hardware, etc. Get off my system. Found a bunch of good stuff on www.asystematics.com

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

Keep up front that the vast number of security features in Vista are the default. Their stated policy was for the average, not so knowledgable, home user. It is quite easy, if that is the road you wish to travel, to remove some, or all, of those features.

#6 the_thunderdog

the_thunderdog

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:59 PM

[font=Verdana]Here is my concern about default settings. Most hackers or crackers love default settings since you they can launch broadbased attacks a virus, worm,robotkit, etc. Why sow a single seed when you can harvest a crop. I change my settings slightly to avoid this situation at my router/firewall. A big issue is what that the virus protection Microsoft is serving up with Vista only addresses viruses that come at you online (the Internet)- for example a CD/DVD disk or usb flash storage- see http://www.vista-security.info/vista-antivirus.htm I have used Windows Defender along side another popular spyware remover & Defender misses quite a few. The ones Defender catches have little or no information on them when you do a lookup to see whether to get rid of or keep them. I think we need to get the botom of this if the average user is going to be safe relying on only one big brother with vested interests. As in "bark-a-lot" or we will not be heard.
Thanks for your comments. :huh:

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

I do not know how to "hack" into another computer. But, allowing access from my son,s computer, thereby simulating an attack, I found that by altering only one security item in Vista, I was then able to play with everything. Posted to MS but they will not be able to go on for ever plugging the leaks. Just keep that spyware and ant-virus rolling folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users