Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Print From Laptop Wirelessly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

"Communication Not Available. The printer cannot communicate with the computer" appears in the window when I test print from Notepad. It's a Dell 720 Photoprinter, came free with Dell Inspiron 6000. I connect wirelessly to desktop access point computer, which has the printer connected to it via USB. I've been able to print via laptop to this printer, a long time ago. Something happened (too much tweaking WinXP perhaps).

What I've done:
- uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for the printer
- connected the printer via USB to the laptop (prints just fine)

Laptop connects to internet via wireless router with excellent signal. Computer where printer is connected has ZA av and firewall, but I've tagged everything associated with the printer as Trusted. Are there some Services that I should be aware of that needs to be auto or manually started for the printer to work?

Net - printer works fine on usb connected desktop, and when usb connected to laptop. When invoking printer wirelessly through laptop, I get the error message. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 February 2007 - 12:12 AM.

drymobius

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:46 AM

I'd try resetting the network connection for the wireless adapter in the notebook. Since the wired settings work, you may want to use them to setup the wireless connection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

usasma, thanks for your suggestion. I ~may~ not have tried that yet, so would appreciate a few specific pointers. If I understand your advice, you want me to connect the laptop via LAN line (CAT5) to the internet, then go in and reset network connections? Should I use Setup a Wireless Network wizard from Start>My Network Places? Thanks.
drymobius

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

From your post, you stated that you could print just fine with a wired connection.

OK, so you can print when hooked directly to the printer. That means that the drivers are OK. So, the problem has to be in the connection.

Here's some things to check:
1) Laptop wireless connection and security settings
2) Router connection and security settings
3) Desktop connection, security, and sharing settings.

Now, presuming that you've got a router with ethernet ports and that the laptop has an ethernet port - try hooking the laptop to the router with a cat5 or 6 cable. Can you print from that? If not, what error messages do you get?

Have you shared the printer on the system that it's connected to?
Is there any firewall software running that may prevent access to the local area network? Have you installed the printer on the laptop while using the wireless connection? Do you have any security settings that may be interfering with this (if so, disable them TEMPORARILY to troubleshoot). Did you follow the installation procedures that came with the printer - was it hooked up in the sequence that was described in the documentation?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:59 PM

John, thanks for your reply. Still no wireless printing, but here's an update: I can print when I connect the printer directly to the laptop. However, I cannot print when I connect the laptop to the router via a CAT5 cable. The error message I get is a window entitled DellPhot 720 - USB Port. The contents of this window read, "Communication Not Available (in bold)" The printer cannot communicate with the computer. Try these solutions: disconnect and reconnect the printer's power cable, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, restart your computer. It has a color picture of a computer connected to a printer, a ? button for Troubleshooting, a Continue button, and a Cancel Printing button.

I tried doing a simultaneous printing attempt. I used Notepad on both the laptop and desktop (w connected printer). I clicked Print on both computers and compared screens and printer setups. Everything the same. Status ready. Location: same. DellPhot both checked. Sharing - both are set to share this printer, with the same share name - DellPhot. Ports are both USB.

You mentioned "security" a lot in your advice. What specifically should I look for as far as security? And how do I go about doing it? Thanks again.
drymobius

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:21 AM

Hello drymobius:

As requested, I've looked at this thread. My observations are thus:

1) It works when connected directly to the laptop
2) It doesn't work when connected through the router.

Logic tells me that the problem is in the router settings which probably includes a firewall. It would help if you identified the brand and model of the router. Also, it is unclear from your post whether the desktop computer was successful in printing. Was it or was it not? If not, was the error message the same or different? Also, does the desktop print if the printer is connected directly to the desktop?

usasma back to you. You know incredibly more about networking and wireless than this lowly single-station - set-up - using - dial-up user. :flowers:

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:57 AM

Orange Blossom, thanks for your reply. Your two observations are correct. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless-g broadband router.
- The desktop prints successfully, and the printer is connected directly to it by USB.

Since the printer also prints successfully when connected to the laptop directly by USB, I agree with you and usasma, the problem may be within the router and its settings. I'm able to get internet access on the laptop (great wireless signal strength). Just cannot print from the laptop via wireless connection to the desktop printer. What a stumper! If I'm browsing on the laptop and find an article I want to print, I have to go to the desktop, find the site/article, and print from there. Inconvenient and frustrating. Thanks for your help.
drymobius

#8 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

Another thought - since I cannot print from the laptop even when connected to the router via a CAT5 cable, perhaps there is a setting on the router that is preventing it from receiving the "print signal" from the laptop. If the router is the road block, then the desktop and its connected printer will never see the "print signal", and that's why I get "Communication Not Available."

So, what settings on the router are preventing this? It certainly is not preventing general internet access.
drymobius

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

Thanks OB, but I'm not all that good at this! My experience comes from breaking stuff and then having to fix it myself.

drymobius - I mention security so much, because it's the most common cause of networking problems that I've seen (it's also the most complicated part of networking).

For starters, disable every bit of security stuff that you have on the systems and on the network. BE ADVISED THAT THIS WILL LEAVE YOU VULNERABLE - SO I'D RECOMMEND UNPLUGGING THE CABLE THAT CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET.

This includes firewalls, anti-spyware, anti-virus, other connection stuff, WEP/WPA security, MAC address filtering, etc.

Once all that's out of the equation - try to print. If it works, then it was one of those settings. If not, then there's more to try.

One of my favorite tricks (with workgroups) is to "mirror" accounts. That is, that you make an account on each machine that is exactly the same.

Try it with new accounts first - make an administrator account on each system named ED and give it a password of ED (or anything else you choose). Then log on to both and try to print. Often the mirrored accounts will bypass the limitations of the Guest account (which is important when using workgroups) - letting you get things done.

#10 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:26 AM

John - still no printing. Per your suggestion, after disconnecting internet, I've closed firewalls, antispyware, antivirus, wep/wpa security, mac address filtering - - stripped it down to the bone. No printing.

... then suddenly, I decided to look at the device managers for both the desktop and laptop. I found one difference. While the desktop (the one that prints and is connected to the printer) has a universal serial bus controller called USB Printing Support, the device manager on the laptop does not. Could this be a clue? I'm googling to find out more about this USB Printing Support. Thanks for your continued advice.
drymobius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users