Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add A Network Printer Doesn't Exist

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 forhockey

forhockey

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

I'm trying to add a printer over the network at someone's house and came across something very unusual. The computer I'm working on is Windows 2000 Professional, which is trying to add a shared printer that is on an XP machine. I get to the Add Printer Wizard, but it doesn't give me an option to add a network printer like the picture below.

Posted Image

The add a network printer doesn't even exist, and I'm only displayed with the local printer option.

I've tried looking into the Group Policy Editor, but can't find anything. The computer can connect to the internet. Has anyone ever come across this problem, and know how to fix it?

Thanks

Edited by forhockey, 06 February 2007 - 11:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

what if you manually connect to the XP machine with \\XPNAME from the run box.
then if you double click the shared printer it should automatically set up the printer for you.(or at least prompt you for drivers)

#3 forhockey

forhockey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:19 PM

I'll have to try that out. :thumbsup:

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users