Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word + Attachments

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 philjo

philjo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

I keep my resumes/cover letters in WORD. When I send them out as an attachment, they are really messed up. The top heading is moved over to one side and just about every sentence or two skips a line or two. I just recently ran a sampling of 5 different ones that I had and they all were messed up. When I just make copies of them, their is no problem. But, when they are sent out as an attachment , they jumbled and just plain messed up. Whats causing this problem, and how can I correct this. HELP
philjo

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description and moved thread to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 07 February 2007 - 10:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Are you saying that when you attach them through an email program the problem occurs?

What are you using to send them?

#3 philjo

philjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

I keep my resumes/cover letters in WORD. When I send them out as an attachment, they are really messed up. The top heading is moved over to one side and just about every sentence or two skips a line or two. I just recently ran a sampling of 5 different ones that I had and they all were messed up. When I just make copies of them, their is no problem. But, when they are sent out as an attachment , they jumbled and just plain messed up. Whats causing this problem, and how can I correct this. HELP
philjo

Are you saying that when you attach them through an email program the problem occurs?

What are you using to send them?

What I did was attach them to my current e-mail address(sbcglobal.net) and e-mail them to another of my e-mail address just to verify my suspicion that the end user that was receiving my resumes were really getting a mess.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:49 PM

Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you, but what I would do in the meantime is just compress the file to a .zip/.rar format and send it that way.

That's just an option until you can get to the source of the problem. Also, check to see if there are any options that will allow you to control the page formatting. If there is no option, then you need to double-check the page layout and double-check your margins and other settings, like the header and footer.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

As someone else who has been recently e-mailing his resume out (anyone wanna hire a sarcastic IT guy who chain smokes? Anyone?) I can tell you what I do.

I have Adobe Acrobat Professional and thus am able to convert Word Docs to PDF's with the click of a button. You probably don't have Acrobat Pro (and don't wanna plunk down a wad of cash for it). I recommend using BullZip PDF Printer. This nifty little tool (freeware) installs a virtual printer on your computer that "prints" a PDF file. You can use it from any program that can be printed from to make professional looking PDF files.

I e-mail perspective employers my resume in PDF format (along with a plaint text .txt version on the off chance they don't have Adobe Reader). Several of them have commented on how much they preferred it to doc's (though they didn't hire me so maybe it's not such a good idea? :thumbsup: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users