Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ie7 Default Search Engine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

I'm sure those who use IE7 are aware of the option to choose a default search engine such as Goolge, Yahoo, etc. which is then displayed on the top toolbar. I have tried to eliminate this feature and remove the toolbar window but I do not see that option. Does anyone know if this is possible? if so, how?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:55 AM

See here: (Applies to XP pro)

Remove Search Bar IE7

Using For other OS versions at the above link:

Copy & paste the code into notepad. Choose File > Save as. Name it something like IE7.reg
(include the.reg to save as a reg file). Save to your desktop, double click on the reg file to accept the merge.

Note: Because what works on my computer without any problems may or may not work on your computer without problems, & because you will be editing the registry (if you use that method), make sure you create a System Restore point, before making the change.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 07 February 2007 - 03:31 AM.

#3 pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:46 AM

Beats me why you would want to remove a (very useful) built-in search tool, and one which supports multiple search engines at that?

We,ve had to add the Google Toolbar manually to IE for years. Now the search tool is built-in you want to remove it. Geez, There's no pleasing some folk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users