Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HoRnYDeViL

HoRnYDeViL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

I Hope this is the right section. I Have windows xp. For a week now my computer will freeze up when i turn it on and i have to reboot/turn it off and on almost 6-10 times just for it to completely load up without it freezing. It also makes a high pitch type of whistling noise when it doesn't start up right. Also when i actaully have it booted up and everything it will freeze up here and there for no apparent reason. So My question is why is it freezing? I Do believe this computer came with xp already on it but i have a disc should i try repair? i've been told to do the defraging. I Hvae nOrton 2007 , haven't had any virus's or anything i keep spyware off my computer so i'm lost on why it does that. So Please help i would appreciate it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

first head to Wal*Mart or some place like that. pick yourself up a can of air (really, they do exist it's compressed air)and a dustmaks now that you are armed with air
take computer to a well ventilated area (garage or outside is probably best)
remove the side panel of your computer, the right side if you are looking at the back of it. (put dustmask on face)
take that can of air and attach the straw like thing that should have came with it.
point straw end toward the processor, the little holes in the power supply, the ram, the video card, basically anywhere you see dust.
hit that processor one more time before you're done.
now bring that bad boy back in the house and hook it back up.

one of two things should happen.
1. problem goes away, happy you

2. problem still exists

If 2,
keep everything plugged in
remove side panel again
turn pc on
look at fan(s)
replace as necessary

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

A more detailed explanation with visual aids, that Jombee mentions, can be found in the tutorials section of Bleeping Computer. Click here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

If this is from a cold boot then it sounds like the power supply is failing. When you keep rebooting the power supply finally powers up with enough energy to run the PC.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

I also remembered my old athlonXP 1700
for quite some time when I tried to boot, it would make a strange almost like a brittish police car sound (high-tone, low-tone repeated) eventually i figured out it was the proc dieing on me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users