Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Philips Unveils DVD Burner That Plays CDs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:50 AM

Philips Unveils DVD Burner That Plays CDs AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Philips Electronics unveiled an optical disk drive on Monday for use in computers that can burn and play CDs and DVDs in three formats, including the new Blu-ray standard.Mon Jan 3, 2005 01:18 PM ET Reuters The drive, to be presented at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week and to be available in the second half of 2005, comes as electronics giants jockey for support of their new DVD systems. Many film studios had expected that Blue-ray would not hit the market until 2006. The Dutch company, together with a group of other powerful electronics makers including Sony Corp, Hewlett-Packard and Dell , is proposing the Blu-ray format which can store up to 50 Gigabytes of data on a disc. This level of storage allows film publishers to put a full-length movie in the high-definition format on one disc. Another group led by Toshiba Corp and Sanyo Electric Co proposes the HD (high definition) DVD standard they have developed. That technology has less storage, but the inventors say it is cheaper and will be ready soon....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:30 AM

I, for one have been waiting for quite sometime on this "new technology". I heard about it back in 2001, and actually been saving up for it (might not be cheap). Though it seems the original idea I heard of isn’t quite the same now.
To me it sounds like the Blue-laser will only be used to burn the DVD’s?
Either way I could care less just going to wait very patiently for this to come out.

I haven’t been this excited about something new since PS2!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:40 AM

Sounds good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users