Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File In Use ! - By Who Or What ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

Greetings one and all ....

I have a file on my desktop, an image file that i've just burned to a DVD to am happy to get rid, and free up the hard disc space.
When i try to delete the file, it says than another person or program is using the file, and that i should close any programs that may be using it.

The problem is, there's no programs running. I've closed everything that was running including my anti virus, but im still getting the same message.

i'm sure i could log off or reboot and it would solve the problem, but rather than just gloss over these things and forget about em, i'd rather know whats going on.

Is there anyway to tell which program might currently be using this file ???

Cheers - as always !
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:12 PM

i'm sure i could log off or reboot and it would solve the problem, but rather than just gloss over these things and forget about em, i'd rather know whats going on.

That should have been a move you've made, then posted that you tried such. It may be your solution. So.. try it and see if it works,,, if it doesn't work, try this FREE program:

Unlocker:
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Although files do get locked into a "Something is still using it situation", always do what you can do 1st, to remedy the situation before asking for assistance. You want others to know that you've tried what ever you had at your disposal, and never say that you could have tried this or that, but just didn't want to. You'll give the impression that you're not trying to figure out the problem, and it could hinder help to you in the future.

There can be many reasons for this, and really, trying to find out what causes it may have you searching for an answer for a very long time. It happens to probably every computer user. I hate it too, but the only thing you can do, as far as I know, is to simply find a way to delete it, then go on about your business. Now.. if every file did that, then you'd need to be concerned. :thumbsup:

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

Walkman, Thank you,

I can assure you, i am not lethargic in any sense when it comes to figuring out these minor issues.

I appreciate the advice, but im a compulsive problem solver and want to know whats going on before i fix it.
Of course rebooting would seem like the logical solution. It would most likely solve my problem.
However, i would then be left in a situation, with no symptoms, and no understanding of what circumstances brought about the problem in the first place.
To successfully solve a problem, whether its with a computer or any other system, i first wanna understand it so then i can possibly avoid it in the future.
In my eyes simply rebooting and hope it goes away is akin to just turning a blind eye and hoping for the best....but then, as you say .... it may just be one of those petty irritations we have to grin and bare irksome though they are.

Thanks again for the help. :thumbsup:
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

I feel you on that one.

There are times when we want answers before we go doing things. I completely understand. But, as to the reason why that happens?... I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what causes that to happen, but it does, and it's very irritating.

But, that Unlocker is a very good program, and it works well too.

Glad to have helped! :thumbsup:

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

Greetings one and all ....

I have a file on my desktop, an image file that i've just burned to a DVD to am happy to get rid, and free up the hard disc space.
When i try to delete the file, it says than another person or program is using the file, and that i should close any programs that may be using it.

The problem is, there's no programs running. I've closed everything that was running including my anti virus, but im still getting the same message.

Is there anyway to tell which program might currently be using this file ???

Cheers - as always !

You didn't say what kind of file it was so I'll just pop in with a couple of things...

First, I wish I could remember the exact circumstance, but I know that sometimes WinRAR caused that to happen for me. I believe I solved it by going into WinRAR Options-Settings and un-ticking keep archive history.

Also, AVI files will cause problems. So, I'm copying my notes concerning that.

AVI Registry Fix - Registry Fix
Opening a folder containing a large number of AVI file can open quite slowly because Windows has to open each AVI file and extract various information from them. If you have a large collection, you can speedup XP's folder access to blocking it from automatically extracting this info. This can also fix problems when trying to rename or move AVI files and you get an error message: "it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

Instructions - Download and run the Registry Fix.
http://home.comcast.net/~optimizexp/Files/...egistry_Fix.zip

Notes - You will no longer have the second page of properties in windows explorer displaying the AVI file information such as width, height and bitrate. Other software such as GSpot can provide you with this information.

I use Media Player Classic and the avi information displays in the properties, in the player, when I open the .avi from there.

This hint and others are on this page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

I also read someplace that one person solved the problem of an avi refusing to be deleted by simply sitting back and waiting...that gave windows time to read all the information while it was bringing up the file. Once done, it deleted just fine.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:41 AM

Perhaps a shortcut to the file still resides in the C:\Documents and Settings\<your profile name here>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning folder?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Guys thanks for the tips ....

i'm sorry to say, they didnt work.

Mommabear, i should have clarified, .. when i said it was an image file, i meant it was an .iso file - the image of a DVD i was making a copy of.

Walkman, .... sorry to say, Unblocker seems to be stumped by this one too .... it says there was no locking handle found, and asks for a couple of alternative tasks, one of which is to delete, .... then it explains that it cant do that, and offers to do it on next reboot, and even though i've chosen yes, this damn file is still sitting on my desktop

Grrrrrrrr

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Try deleting it in Safe Mode.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:06 AM

I had a similar problem to this a couple of years back and my son got rid of it with something called a file shredder which was a part of either SpyBot S&D or AdAware if I remember correctly.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#10 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

Try deleting it in Safe Mode.

Did this help?

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:37 AM

HijackThis also has a file deleter in their miscellaneous tools section.

Have you tried deleting it from your desktop files in Windows Explorer rather than just clicking it on your desktop?

Edited by mommabear, 08 February 2007 - 07:38 AM.

#12 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

What is in the iso file?

#13 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:13 AM

Greetings all,

I finally found what was holding this file up.
I had run the file through daemon tools.
In spite of the fact i had closed daemon tools, it still had the file mounted on the virtual drive.
I ran the program, un mounted the file, and it freed it up.
Thanks for all your feedback and help !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users