Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS almost 2 years old

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:09 AM

Tried finding an update online and no luck. Got some bios agent but I think he will charge me. Is it really necessary? Is 2 years old THAT old?

MY BIOS type is Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00 PG
My BIOS message is W6721SMS v1.0

My motherboard is manf. by Micro-star int'l and I checked their site and nothing.

Thanks for any and all help,
Tricky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:30 AM

Are you having any specific problems? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is very applicable to BIOS upgrades.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 03:31 AM

If you don't need to update the bios don't, you run the risk the making your PC completely unusable. I've updated many bios's at work without a problem, but the only time I did it at home meant getting a new mobo and CPU as it went badly wrong.

As ddeerrffn said if it ain't broke don't fix it.

#4 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for the advice about the BIOS, the agent called and was going to send me the update for $69.95 so I said thanks but no thanks. It ain't broke so I won't fix it til it is.

Thanks for saving me 70 bucks that I probably would have spent without your input. I owe you one,

Tricky

#5 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:45 PM

By the way Bios updates are available from the Manufactuers web sites for free as well as the necessary flash utility. Just for your future reference.

As the others stated don't fix it if it ain't broke. Flashing a bios is a tricky process and if done wrong the only fix is a new or reprogramed Bios chip which is probably what the guy was gonna sell ya.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users