Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Distractions.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

Wondering if you think,with all the latest hi-tech gear in cars,and having to set and adjust everything while Driving,and coupled with all the normal distractions,whether you feel it's more dangerous to drive now,than before we had all these extra luxuries to contend with?The cars may be safer but.Like to hear your opinions on this subject. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

It's not the vehicles, nor what's put in them. It's the drivers. Drivers now have a lower concentration rate than drivers from years ago.

[Added Info]
For the most part, the only thing that would really distract me while driving is if I happen to see a snake, spider, or other potentially dangerous creature in my car... but even then, I'll pull over and then deal with the situation.

Edited by Walkman, 06 February 2007 - 12:47 PM.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:42 PM

Blaming the gadgets in the car is like blaming Mcdonalds when you order extra hot coffee and then sue when you spill it on yourself.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

It's not the vehicles, nor what's put in them. It's the drivers. Drivers now have a lower concentration rate than drivers from years ago.

Hi Walkman,You don't think picking up and answering mobile phones,in car phones,stareing at Sat Nav maps,playing with Air Con controls,playing with sterios and adjusting Graphic Equalisers,Adjusting onboard TV reception for the kids,And CB radios and back to base business phones if equipped with such.On top of the usual distractions like screaming kids,Wife telling you how to drive,eating while driving due to the hectic life style, etc.Could these and a host of other normal distractions,could be any reason whatsoever why you think Drivers today have a lower concentration rate?Having less time to actually concentrate on the road,you dont think leads to lower concentration?

Edited by DSTM, 06 February 2007 - 01:06 PM.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

Hi Walkman,You don't think picking up and answering mobile phones,in car phones,stareing at Sat Nav maps,playing with Air Con controls,playing with sterios and adjusting Graphic Equalisers,Adjusting onboard TV reception for the kids,On top of the usual distractions like screaming kids,Wife telling you how to drive,eating while driving due to the hectic life style, etc.Could these and a host of other normal distractions,could be any reason whatsoever why you think Drivers today have a lower concentration rate?Having less time to actually concentrate on the road,you dont think leads to lower concentration?

For starters, I think it's reckless to answer your cell phone while driving if you don't have an ear bud. I always use one, even while not driving, so I'm always hands free on that part. And I advise you to do the same too. It only costs $10(US) to get a hands-free phone piece. No excuses for that.

As far as traveling with the wife, kids and such? Very simple......

If the sounds and all begin to distract me, I'll advise them to use headphones, stop what they're doing,.. and then the ultimate,, which works if you're a firm man to your family..... tell them to be quiet, and they will... at least mine will. I have no problem demanding what I need to make driving safe for me and others. I'd tell them in an instant to shut up if it bothers me that much.

But all of my children are pretty much grown now. 19, 20, and 21.

If you have that problem, may want to start by warning them if needed, but don't ever let the inside of your car become a distraction to you.... if you do.... here are my suggestions:

1. Stop driving. It's too much for you to bare.
2. Don't take the family out anymore
3. Tell them that they're not allowed to talk while you're driving... They can only talk when you come to a stop light or pull over for gas. And when you pull off,,, they must be silent. :thumbsup:
4. Make the family bring books along and they must read to themselves.

Personally, I have a high concentration level. I've been through alot in my life, and I'm not an easily breakable person, not by a long shot, and kids will be kids. That's just how they are. Yeah,, they are a pain in the rear, but you gotta love em. Besides, they don't know any better. They love to travel. They'll do it every day if you ask them to.

But, when I say quiet time, I get it, even from the wife. That's just how it is for me. I don't have that problem at all. I'd dare my children to keep talking after I told them to be quiet. They don't want a piece of me.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

If every family sitting beside me or driving in these busy city streets of ours,were as controlled as you say your family is,it would be great.the only problem most of the kids go ferel when they know their father cant stop the car in a busy city street.Mainly concerned about all the extra equipment we have to worry about these days as well.And do these have any bearing on things.Appreciate your input Walkman. :thumbsup:

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

I saw a segment on either Good Morning America or something similar about a month ago, where they talked about suv's (mainly) having all that electronics in them and how much of a distraction it is and it takes away from family quality time while traveling......... I agree with it 100%

Here is what they did...

They took a family that had an suv... loaded with dvd players for everyone to watch, game consoles, cd player, .. they put a few cameras inside of it and monitored children. They discovered (it was being filmed) that children that have all of that stuff in their vehicles:

1. Don't know their surroundings. They never looked out of the windows, so basically, if there was an emergency, they are dumber than a door knob.

2. They fought amongst each other... one wanting to watch something but the other one doesn't

3. The children complained alot. They were always asking "Are we there yet?"

4. The whole family is separated in their own worlds, and no one conversated with each other.

After the test was complete... they took them on another test... everything was the same in the vehicles except:

They took out the dvd player, the game consoles... and I believe they took out the cd player too. But.. this is what happened to the same family going on another family trip.

5. The children knew their surroundings. They were looking out the windows more than anything, observing the world,, as they should.

6. The children didn't fight and argue at all

7. The children didn't complain at all, probably because they were having such a joyous time looking at the scenery. And they never asked "Are we there yet?"

8. Everyone, including the children had much to say to each other, asking mom and dad, "what's that thing?, "how did they make that?", and other family orientated conversations.

After all was said and done... not only the children was asked, but the parents were asked this question:

Was there any difference in this trip compared to your last trip?

Both the parents and the children said these things...

9. The last trip was much more enjoyable (parents + kids)
10. They all got to spend quality time as a family (parents + kids)
11. They enjoyed not arguing and complaining (the kids)
12. They actually enjoyed the views (the kids)
13. They would rather travel again, but without all of that hi-tech that are put in the vehicles (parents + kids)

The boy and girl were around 9 - 13... the girl the oldest.

So... there you have it. It was filmed, and documented. There was a difference in what happened to that family, and they were so much more united as a family too, when all that crap was taken out of their vehicle.

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

I agree that although we can't blame the 'fancy gadgets' within our cars, we often make the terrible choice to use them while actually driving - eep! Only a dolt would use a nav. while driving - but dolts seems to be everywhere, unfortunately.

For myself, I adjust everything before taking off and believe firmly in 'ear buds' - and even then, if traffic is intense or road conditions poor, I just don't take any calls.

Always wondered about parents who have screens so children can watch movies while driving, etc - poor kids always seem to be 'distracted' by one thing or another in order to give parents some peace. Geesh, whatever happened to 'family outings', I wonder - gentle smile.

Burst out laughing when I read that you keep your kids behaving while driving, Walkman, as we've always done that too. (Cars aren't toys but deadly weapons and all that stuff 'pounded' into their little brains from the moment they could be tethered into a car seat - grin!). Never had to yell at them luckily - just spent a lot of time cultivating 'that look' that sends children into instant silence - another grin!

But discovered that giving our kids a book to read in the car was a messy and never to be repeated thing (up-chucking on upholstery in the heat of summer is bad enough when it's one child --- when it's 4 of them doing it all within minutes of each other - eep!).

These wonderful gadgets in cars are just that, wonderful - but only if used by people who aren't dolts behind the wheel. And I suspect there is no easy cure for doltism, sadly.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

MaraM,Never heard the expression"Dolts"Presume it means the same as Idiot.While I enjoy creature comforts in the car,having to take your eyes off the road to change the setting or adjust something is a distraction which could be fatal.I see idiots every day taking their eyes off the road to play with something.These added luxuries should be made idiot proof in my opinion.Why not have all this eguipment none responsive to change until you are stationary.Sure the phone can ring but you have to stop in order to communicate on it as an example.This I believe would save a lot of accidents from being the direct result of stupidity.
MaraM, I'm laughing trying to imagine "That Look" you used to frighten hell out of your children with. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 06 February 2007 - 08:25 PM.

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:51 PM

If you're an experienced driver, and you know your vehicle and it's features and such, I can't imagine not being able to quickly look to where you want your hand, put your eyes back on the road, and perform your tasks, all by touch and feel. And all of that can be done in a split second.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the other drivers I watch out for. You have to drive and think that way.

But anyway, I don't ever have any distractions while driving that puts me and others in danger.

#11 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

Glad to hear you don't have any distractions while driving, Walkman - one more safe driver on our roads!

Yes, DSTM - 'dolts' does mean 'idiots' - grin! Perhaps part of the problem is often people think they will be perfectly safe adjusting something or other, including their seats!!, while the car is moving. We've only to think of all the accidents that occur every day to know that some live with possibly fatal misconceptions.

The one gadget I'd love to have is a rubber thingie that pops out the back of one's car and clamps on to the vehicle that is right on one's bumper when zipping along at 80mph on the freeway. Yup, the dolt would then be 'stuck' to us as far as the nearest Police Station - grin!).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:51 AM

I know the people talking on the phone are not giving all their attention to driving and that bothers me, when I'm in the same area as them.

Personally, I have a high concentration level.

Nothing personal here Walkman, but if your concentrating on the road, you make a poor person to talk too and if your concentrating on the phone, I hope you don't crash..
My stepson uses handsfree stuff, therefor it was not his fault when he ran into someone a couple of years ago. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:38 PM

personally I have my cd player, cb radio, and cell phone. None of which really gets used while I'm driving. The CB is the only one I use and thats for info on road conditions

Posted Image

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

Nobody has commented on my thoughts in post #9 where I stated that it might be an idea to disable this equipment unless stationary.Bad Idea?I am not talking about the experienced and responsible drivers,which are evident in previous posts.I'ts the inexperienced drivers that seem to take too many unnecessary risks,playing around instead of watching the road.They seem to have a problem doing two things at the one time,resulting in many accidents.I have been behind 2 accidents in the last year,and they were caused by playing with equipment and not watching the road.One had a roof mounted TV or Video player,couldn't make out which.3 kids in the back.The driver kept looking up to the Player and adjusting while trying to drive.Next minute,straight up the car in front.I got out to see if the kids were OK.I said to the driver,that was a bit stupid wasn't it.He said to me,Please don't tell the police.I drove off.
Another interstate car,in front with the driver and passenger,heads joined together both watching a SAT NAV screen instead of watching the car in front.Same accident as previous.These 2 accidents alone could have been prevented if equipment failed to respond in motion.IMO. How many accidents that we don't see may be caused by the same distractions?
This equipment is great to enjoy,but the manufactures in my mind are not aware of the potential dangers their equipment may pose,when used by irresponsible drivers.
These two cases prompted me to start the topic,and it's been great getting all your views. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 08 February 2007 - 01:13 AM.

#15 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:06 AM

I don't think you could disable them, by meaning somebody would find a way around it. Just like the holes in software. Once you patch it, somebody takes it as a challenge to get around it. And if you try to disable them, people will scream about their rights being taken away from them.

I have a cell phone, only because I live so far out of town. I've used it when my truck broke down. Never had a TV in the car, don't understand that whole thing.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users