Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messenger Plus___BAD!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:02 AM

Looks like Messenger Plus, an MSN & Windows Messenger add-on, is loaded with spyware, and some nasty Desktop icons.

Here's a post I found referenced on another board, by bar5:
http://forums.g4techtv.com/messageview.cfm...LE=&STARTPAGE=1

Here's what Messenger Plus has to say:
http://www.msgplus.net/help_faq.php?expand=2#install

Be careful, out there.

Edited by tg1911, 04 January 2005 - 07:41 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 06:34 AM

Thats pretty interesting, I would hope that the government would finally get around to passing some laws with some teeth to finally put the people who write this garbage behind bars where they belong.

That said, I am writing because the title of the thread and the statement of "here's what MSN said" is misleading. This software is called "Messenger Plus" not MSN Messenger Plus. Here is a quote from the bottom of the page your link took me to;

Messenger Plus! 2001-2004 by Patchou
Windows, MSN and MSN Messenger are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Any other trademarks are property of their owners.
This site is not affiliated in any way with Microsoft Corporation.

This messenger plus isn't from MSN, it is the usual third party spyware garbage that we see all to often on the help forums.

Edited by Ronbo, 04 January 2005 - 06:38 AM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for catching that, Rondo. I edited out the incorrect info.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:11 AM

No problem :thumbsup: I use MSN and your title caught my eye and had me worried about when this garbage was going to hit me. For all the problems with M$, I hate to see them get tagged for something they didn't do.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:05 AM

This has been known for a short while(by few people!) but it has gotten worse I think........I have this program or did. I think it is still on my pc but never loads!

Thanks TG I also saw it at that board.

This is sad cause I liked the add ons!

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:42 PM

Good catch, Ronbo. It always pays to research just about anything you download.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users